County Executive Scott Walker, in his 2010 Budget, proposed an Aquatics Center in the Southeast portion of Milwaukee County. Learning of this possibility a groundswell of support is developing in the Southwest portion of the county, specifically within the City of Franklin. As one of the fastest growing cities in Milwaukee County, Franklin’s residential population exceeds 33,000 and continues to show growth in these lean economic times. In a city composed mostly of families with children, we are one of the few without a swimming/aquatic facility. In fact, in comparison to many cities of its size Franklin also lacks a Senior Center and a Community/Recreation Center. With the support of the County Board, this proposed Aquatics Center would provide opportunities to residents of all ages – seniors, young adults and families – within southern Milwaukee County.
If built, this aquatics facility could easily be incorporated into the already existing Milwaukee County Sports Complex, which would bring in additional revenue that could help fund other community pools and facilities throughout the county. With its location at the Sports Complex, it would connect with the Oak Leaf Trail that currently connects many neighborhoods in Franklin with bicycle and foot access from as far away as Greendale. In considering adjacent communities within the County an Aquatics Center in the City of Franklin has a potential residential base in excess of 120,000.
An Aquatics Center located in Franklin is more than an amenity; it is an economic stimulus. Developers, future retail, leisure, hospitality and food service establishments would serve as a recreational hub for families, young adults, and seniors residing both in and around Franklin. The revenue from the secondary businesses will most definitely benefit Milwaukee County, the City of Franklin and the surrounding communities.
To show your support for an Aquatics Center in Franklin post your signature to: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/milwaquatics
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 2014 Franklin Lioness Craft Fair Set for Oct. 25; Proceeds Support Scholarships for MATC Students
- Sign-Up Now for Franklin Gridiron Golf Outing on July 26!
- Have fun while helping others!
- Kayla's Krew Teams Up Local Businesses for Park Madness
- Milwaukee Admirals Host "Franklin Community Night" on April 12
- “The Parenting Course” at Faith Community Church & Faith Academy in Franklin
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony held for new concession at FHS
- What is Veronica’s Place Playground Project?
- 2013 Franklin Lioness Craft Fair Set for Oct. 26: Proceeds Support Scholarships for MATC Students
- Community Rummage Sale September 14th @ Faith Community Church