When I look at all the health issues Americans have, as a Chef I think about what makes some people healthier than others. I am certainly not an expert in nutrition, but my many years of being an executive chef, restaurant owner & caterer around the country has taught me a few things.
Although genetics plays a huge role in health issues, eating habits are even more important.
Did you ever wonder why farmers live longer than people who live in the city?
Well paid, highly educated Nutritionists have been telling us for years that carbs, meat, & too much dairy are bad for your health & weight.
What do the farmers know that the Nutritionists don’t?
Here’s a little secret that the Nutritionists aren’t telling you: people on farms eat fresh, unprocessed foods & lots of it. They eat eggs, bacon, meat, chicken, & drink many glasses of milk. All of these food items have been criminalized over the past few years.
Also, farmers get a tremendous amount of exercise from working on the farm.
So what we can get out of this is that we should eat less processed food & healthier, fresh food. Now that doesn’t mean that the food has to be expensive or taste bad in order for it to be good for you.
To help you better understand this, here is the Chef Vickie Top 10 Worst Foods You Can Eat.
1. Bologna or Hot Dogs – Unless they are made with 100% beef & without nitrates, do not eat these. We really don’t know what weird parts are used in this processed food.
2. Margarine – Yikes! This is the worst. Imagine a food where they extract hydrogen out & inject it back in. That is what they do with margarine. Now imagine all of that hydrogen used in your cooking or put on your toast. Why would you do that?
3. Instant Noodles – We all know this staple with college kids & families trying to make ends meet because they are so inexpensive. Let me be clear; the problem isn’t with the noodles it is the dangerous amount of fat & sodium that is in the instant broth.
4. Whipped Cream – Unless it is homemade, run away. From artificial flavors & colors to words you'd need an advanced degree in chemistry to pronounce.
5. Popsicles – You might as well pour white sugar in your mouth directly from the bag.
6. Bagels – There are healthy ones, but the delicious ones are very bad for you. The delicious ones lack vitamins, minerals & fiber.
7. Jelly Beans – Jelly beans are made 100% out of high fructose corn syrup. There is no nutritional value to high fructose corn syrup.
8. Mayonnaise– Unless it is an olive oil based mayonnaise, stay away. One tablespoon of regular mayonnaise has approximately 11 grams of fat & is high in calories.
9. Bacon – What makes bacon bad is not the meat or the fat; it is the amount of nitrates that some companies dump into the meat.
10. Hamburger – Just remember; not all hamburgers are created equal. It all depends on the quality & fat content of the meat.
When I decided to cater & prepare delicious, affordable, gourmet meals for clients, through my company, Tasty Impressions, my thoughts went back to the farmer. I decided to only use fresh ingredients, wild fish, chicken without hormones, antibiotics & unnecessary processing.
In other words, fresh foods without all the processing & dangerous chemicals, just like the farmers.
The thing to remember is that to eat healthy, it doesn’t have to taste bad or be expensive.
You need to know a farmer or get to know Chef Vickie.
Since you most likely don’t know a farmer, you can learn more about how you can eat healthier without compromising taste or breaking the bank by contacting Chef Vickie at Tasty Impressions at (414) 217-4252, email@example.com or go to www.tastyimpressions.com
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Pastor and Music Director Perform Concert in Sweden
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union
- JV Girls Volleyball wins South East Conference Championship
- Honoring Our Heroes This Veteran’s Day at the Franklin Public Library
- FAMILY HALLOWEEN HOUSE
- Honoring Grief - Finding Our Way Through the Holidays
- Relay for Life Luminaria Walk, Sunday October 19th at 6:00pm
- STAR WARS events at the Oak Creek Library
- Prevent Injuries and Improve Performance - Attend Free Seminar "Functional Training for the Ankle & Core"
- Bridging the Inter-generational Gap