West Allis, West Milwaukee Chambers, Schools and MATC Host Event to Teach Youth About Manufacturing
Milwaukee Area Technical College, the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce, West Allis-West Milwaukee School District and local manufacturers are joining forces to raise the awareness of middle and high school students and their parents about academic programs and careers in manufacturing. Dubbed the “Heavy Metal Tour,” the event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at the Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing (ECAM) Center at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave.
Participants will tour ECAM, talk with manufacturers, MATC instructors and students, and representatives from the American Welding Society. They will work with computerized equipment and robotics. Participants also will learn about the growing number of career options in the manufacturing sector as well as training opportunities for those jobs. Among the participating companies are DUECO, Harley-Davidson, Iverson & Company, Manitowoc Crane, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision.
Major sponsors of the event are Harley-Davidson, Masterson Company, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision. Supporting sponsors are Allis-Roller, LLC; DUECO; GFS Marketplace; Lakeside Manufacturing; Manitowoc Crane; Milwaukee Machine Works; Poblocki Sign Company; Toshiba; and Unit Drop Forge Co.
On March 18, student participants 14 and older also will tour a variety of local manufacturing companies and experience a manufacturing work environment.
ECAM is a $9 million, 34,000-square-foot facility which is home to many educational and
training opportunities. Opened in 2007, ECAM hosts learning laboratories in advanced manufacturing, manufacturing welding, advanced software, energy solutions, HVAC digital controls and HVAC computers.
For more information and to register, call the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce at (414) 302-9901 or visit http://www.wawmchamber.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All You Can Eat Spaghetti Dinner
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers March 11 Panel Discussion on “Expect The Unexpected…Completing A Home Improvement Project”
- Parkside Theatre Presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
- Tips To Give Your Dog a Balanced Diet
- Zymbiotics Fine Natrually Fermented Foods now Available at Malicki's Piggly Wiggly on Rawson and at the Outpost Co-op
- 2nd Saturday Wisconsin
- Peak Performance Volleyball Camp for 3rd - 8th Grade Girls
- Franklin Artist Wins "Best of Show" at 2015 League of Milwaukee Artists' Spring Show
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- Popular Spring Market returns to South Milwaukee High School – March 7th