West Allis, West Milwaukee Chambers, Schools and MATC Host Event to Teach Youth About Manufacturing
Milwaukee Area Technical College, the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce, West Allis-West Milwaukee School District and local manufacturers are joining forces to raise the awareness of middle and high school students and their parents about academic programs and careers in manufacturing. Dubbed the “Heavy Metal Tour,” the event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at the Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing (ECAM) Center at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave.
Participants will tour ECAM, talk with manufacturers, MATC instructors and students, and representatives from the American Welding Society. They will work with computerized equipment and robotics. Participants also will learn about the growing number of career options in the manufacturing sector as well as training opportunities for those jobs. Among the participating companies are DUECO, Harley-Davidson, Iverson & Company, Manitowoc Crane, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision.
Major sponsors of the event are Harley-Davidson, Masterson Company, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision. Supporting sponsors are Allis-Roller, LLC; DUECO; GFS Marketplace; Lakeside Manufacturing; Manitowoc Crane; Milwaukee Machine Works; Poblocki Sign Company; Toshiba; and Unit Drop Forge Co.
On March 18, student participants 14 and older also will tour a variety of local manufacturing companies and experience a manufacturing work environment.
ECAM is a $9 million, 34,000-square-foot facility which is home to many educational and
training opportunities. Opened in 2007, ECAM hosts learning laboratories in advanced manufacturing, manufacturing welding, advanced software, energy solutions, HVAC digital controls and HVAC computers.
For more information and to register, call the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce at (414) 302-9901 or visit http://www.wawmchamber.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin Lioness Club 2015 Scholarship Applications
- Area High School FACT Members Present at Joint Finance Committee Hearing
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- 3rd Annual South Milwaukee Breakfast with the Easter Bunny & Easter Egg Hunt
- Franklin Actor in Acacia Theatre's
- Open Enrollment for Franklin Residents
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Greenhills Ohio Declares March 20th Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day
- Milwaukee Hamilton Class of 1975, 40th Reunion
- 15 Companies Join Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council