West Allis, West Milwaukee Chambers, Schools and MATC Host Event to Teach Youth About Manufacturing
Milwaukee Area Technical College, the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce, West Allis-West Milwaukee School District and local manufacturers are joining forces to raise the awareness of middle and high school students and their parents about academic programs and careers in manufacturing. Dubbed the “Heavy Metal Tour,” the event will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at the Energy Conservation and Advanced Manufacturing (ECAM) Center at MATC’s Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave.
Participants will tour ECAM, talk with manufacturers, MATC instructors and students, and representatives from the American Welding Society. They will work with computerized equipment and robotics. Participants also will learn about the growing number of career options in the manufacturing sector as well as training opportunities for those jobs. Among the participating companies are DUECO, Harley-Davidson, Iverson & Company, Manitowoc Crane, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision.
Major sponsors of the event are Harley-Davidson, Masterson Company, Quad Graphics and Senior Flexonics GA Precision. Supporting sponsors are Allis-Roller, LLC; DUECO; GFS Marketplace; Lakeside Manufacturing; Manitowoc Crane; Milwaukee Machine Works; Poblocki Sign Company; Toshiba; and Unit Drop Forge Co.
On March 18, student participants 14 and older also will tour a variety of local manufacturing companies and experience a manufacturing work environment.
ECAM is a $9 million, 34,000-square-foot facility which is home to many educational and
training opportunities. Opened in 2007, ECAM hosts learning laboratories in advanced manufacturing, manufacturing welding, advanced software, energy solutions, HVAC digital controls and HVAC computers.
For more information and to register, call the West Allis/West Milwaukee Chamber of Commerce at (414) 302-9901 or visit http://www.wawmchamber.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Help clients plan and prepare for a retirement that is both financially and emotionally successful
- Support Group for Divorced and Separated
- 16U Franklin Flame Fastpitch Wounded Warrior Fundraiser
- 2014 Franklin Lioness Craft Fair Set for Oct. 25; Proceeds Support Scholarships for MATC Students
- SM Historical Society "Decorating for the Holidays" Seminar
- A Nostalgic Afternoon
- Julius Jr. Experience Comes to Greendale at Southridge Mall on Sept. 20
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Alverno College highest in the state in its “Strong Commitment to Teaching” category for the fifth consecutive year
- Oak Creek Public Library Fall Preschool Story Time
- SM Football Boosters Holding 1st Annaul Rocktoberfest