Alverno College students are taking action to help bring awareness to the issue of homelessness in Milwaukee. Students will be collecting donations for the Milwaukee Joy House as they try to fill a school bus. Donations of warm clothing, hats, gloves, mittens, blankets, non-perishable food, sanitary items, diapers, paper goods and cash will be accepted. In addition to stuffing the bus, students organized a Zumbathon. The proceeds from that will benefit Community Advocates.
The effort is in response to the discovery of a body in November, 2012 near the lakefront while students, along with friends and family, were taking part in a community clean-up. Alverno College students who were part of that group organized a successful “Stuff the Bus” event in December of 2012, as well as a second event in September, 2013. So far students have raised over $20,000 in donations of money, clothing, blankets, personal hygiene products and non-perishable food items to help the homeless.
The event will take place on Saturday, March 8, from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Pitman Theatre parking lot, located at 39th and Morgan. The Zumbathon goes from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., and takes place in the Reiman Gymnasium. The cost to participate is $15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Resident Particiaptes in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE at Sunset Playhouse
- Refuse To Be A Victim ® Seminar to be Presented in Muskego
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- State Farm Welcomes New Agent Jason Aexel to Muskego
- Annual Flag Day at The Berkshire of Greendale
- WAMI WINNER SCOTT E. BERENDT & THE US PROJECT TO PERFORM AT FOURTH OF JULY COMMUNITY BASH
- Free thing to do at Franklin's 4th of July Civic Celebration
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- Scholarships for UW-Parkside Nonprofit Leadership Program