Alverno College students are taking action to help bring awareness to the issue of homelessness in Milwaukee. Students will be collecting donations for the Milwaukee Joy House as they try to fill a school bus. Donations of warm clothing, hats, gloves, mittens, blankets, non-perishable food, sanitary items, diapers, paper goods and cash will be accepted. In addition to stuffing the bus, students organized a Zumbathon. The proceeds from that will benefit Community Advocates.
The effort is in response to the discovery of a body in November, 2012 near the lakefront while students, along with friends and family, were taking part in a community clean-up. Alverno College students who were part of that group organized a successful “Stuff the Bus” event in December of 2012, as well as a second event in September, 2013. So far students have raised over $20,000 in donations of money, clothing, blankets, personal hygiene products and non-perishable food items to help the homeless.
The event will take place on Saturday, March 8, from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Pitman Theatre parking lot, located at 39th and Morgan. The Zumbathon goes from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., and takes place in the Reiman Gymnasium. The cost to participate is $15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Resume and interview workshop classes in October
- Economic Developments on the Horizon in Oak Creek and Franklin
- The Travels of Pat Ostergren
- THE MYTHS AND REALITIES OF COLLEGE RECRUITING
- Day Trip to Chicago - Treat Yourself!
- Autumn Harvest Bowl - Disc Golf Tournament for the Food Pantry of Waukesha County
- August is “Cataract Awareness Month”: 6 Things you should know about CATARACTS
- Cudahy Lions Brat Fry
- Tips to prevent the spread of Bed Bugs
- New tool to fight scammers, recover money