Alverno College students are taking action to help bring awareness to the issue of homelessness in Milwaukee. Students will be collecting donations for the Milwaukee Joy House as they try to fill a school bus. Donations of warm clothing, hats, gloves, mittens, blankets, non-perishable food, sanitary items, diapers, paper goods and cash will be accepted. In addition to stuffing the bus, students organized a Zumbathon. The proceeds from that will benefit Community Advocates.
The effort is in response to the discovery of a body in November, 2012 near the lakefront while students, along with friends and family, were taking part in a community clean-up. Alverno College students who were part of that group organized a successful “Stuff the Bus” event in December of 2012, as well as a second event in September, 2013. So far students have raised over $20,000 in donations of money, clothing, blankets, personal hygiene products and non-perishable food items to help the homeless.
The event will take place on Saturday, March 8, from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Pitman Theatre parking lot, located at 39th and Morgan. The Zumbathon goes from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., and takes place in the Reiman Gymnasium. The cost to participate is $15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Pastor and Music Director Perform Concert in Sweden
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union
- JV Girls Volleyball wins South East Conference Championship
- Honoring Our Heroes This Veteran’s Day at the Franklin Public Library
- FAMILY HALLOWEEN HOUSE
- Honoring Grief - Finding Our Way Through the Holidays
- Relay for Life Luminaria Walk, Sunday October 19th at 6:00pm
- STAR WARS events at the Oak Creek Library
- Prevent Injuries and Improve Performance - Attend Free Seminar "Functional Training for the Ankle & Core"
- Bridging the Inter-generational Gap