Alverno College students are taking action to help bring awareness to the issue of homelessness in Milwaukee. Students will be collecting donations for the Milwaukee Joy House as they try to fill a school bus. Donations of warm clothing, hats, gloves, mittens, blankets, non-perishable food, sanitary items, diapers, paper goods and cash will be accepted. In addition to stuffing the bus, students organized a Zumbathon. The proceeds from that will benefit Community Advocates.
The effort is in response to the discovery of a body in November, 2012 near the lakefront while students, along with friends and family, were taking part in a community clean-up. Alverno College students who were part of that group organized a successful “Stuff the Bus” event in December of 2012, as well as a second event in September, 2013. So far students have raised over $20,000 in donations of money, clothing, blankets, personal hygiene products and non-perishable food items to help the homeless.
The event will take place on Saturday, March 8, from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. in the Pitman Theatre parking lot, located at 39th and Morgan. The Zumbathon goes from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., and takes place in the Reiman Gymnasium. The cost to participate is $15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- 3rd Annual South Milwaukee Breakfast with the Easter Bunny & Easter Egg Hunt
- Franklin Actor in Acacia Theatre's
- Open Enrollment for Franklin Residents
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Greenhills Ohio Declares March 20th Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day
- Milwaukee Hamilton Class of 1975, 40th Reunion
- 15 Companies Join Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council
- Muskego Open Swim, Pool Rentals, & Swim Lessons!
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Fun With Food