Krista Washechek, of Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, participated in the Regional Spelling Bee in Pewaukee on February 5, and her final word smelled a bit fishy. She persevered throughout the event by correctly spelling words that included catkin, cauliflower, and strudel, and is now reigning champion of the district, having successfully spelled mahi-mahi.
Krista, an eighth grader, competed against eleven other schools including Germantown, Hamilton, and Waukesha districts. “I was both excited and nervous,” she commented. She noted that some schools appeared more competitive than others. She stated that she was relieved after spelling each word, but grew nervous again whenever she approached the microphone for her subsequent word.
As the Regional Spelling Bee Champion, Krista will now advance to the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison, on Saturday, March 23. Congratulations and good luck, Krista Washechek!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- State Farm Welcomes New Agent Jason Aexel to Muskego
- Annual Flag Day at The Berkshire of Greendale
- WAMI WINNER SCOTT E. BERENDT & THE US PROJECT TO PERFORM AT FOURTH OF JULY COMMUNITY BASH
- Free thing to do at Franklin's 4th of July Civic Celebration
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- Scholarships for UW-Parkside Nonprofit Leadership Program
- Team Hope Walk/Run to Benefit Huntington's Disease
- Let's Prevent Another Chemical Incident
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held at Greenfield Park on September 26