Krista Washechek, of Hales Corners Lutheran Middle School, participated in the Regional Spelling Bee in Pewaukee on February 5, and her final word smelled a bit fishy. She persevered throughout the event by correctly spelling words that included catkin, cauliflower, and strudel, and is now reigning champion of the district, having successfully spelled mahi-mahi.
Krista, an eighth grader, competed against eleven other schools including Germantown, Hamilton, and Waukesha districts. “I was both excited and nervous,” she commented. She noted that some schools appeared more competitive than others. She stated that she was relieved after spelling each word, but grew nervous again whenever she approached the microphone for her subsequent word.
As the Regional Spelling Bee Champion, Krista will now advance to the Badger State Spelling Bee in Madison, on Saturday, March 23. Congratulations and good luck, Krista Washechek!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- INTERFAITH HOSTING ANNUAL NEIGHBORHOOD OUTREACH FUNDRAISER TO SUPPORT SENIORS IN THE COMMUNITY
- All You Can Eat Breakfast Sunday, October 11th
- Community Events at Faith Community Church - Franklin
- AFS Seeks Host Families
- Airport seeks volunteers at information desk
- Sendik’s Becomes First Grocer in State to Transform Food Waste Into Energy
- United Performing Arts Fund Announces 2016 Campaign Co-Chairs
- Attend Career Fair at Easter Seals!
- Prepare Plumbing for Cool Weather
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!