Lindsay and Alan Markos, both Greenfield High School alumni, have been unable to hold their daughter, Autumn, since she was born on October 1.
Autumn was born a few weeks early and is in the Cardiac ICU at Children's Hospital. She has a severe form of a rare heart disease called Ebstein's Anomaly. The right side of her heart is not functioning correctly, so there isn't enough blood being pumped into her lungs. Complicating things further is a sealed pulmonary valve (allows blood to flow from the heart to the lungs).
Autumn has already been through more than 5 surgeries. Her vitals are unstable and she has her good hours and her bad hours. If all goes well, she'll need several surgeries as she grows to replace the parts the doctor's are putting in her. Eventually, she'll need a heart transplant.
Both Lindsay and Autumn made it through the pregnancy and are here with us today. Due to Lindsay's high risk pregnancy and a case of high blood pressure that turned into preeclampsia she has been unable to work since July. They are struggling to provide for their family of 5 (4 year old and 2 year old). They cut back dramatically and are still having trouble putting food on the table. It's come to the point where they are choosing which bill to pay late and which to not pay at all. The hospital bills are already coming in and it's expected Autumn will be in the ICU for a while - the goal date right now is Christmas.
A benefit dinner will be held at Jimmy K's (6815 W. Edgerton) on Saturday, December 1 from 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm with all proceeds going to the Markos family.
Door prizes/silent auction items include:
- 18 holes of golf at Willow Run with a cart
- Photography sitting with Mike Krukowski
- 5 pack of 1/2 hour personal training session at the Wisconsin Athletic Club
- 4 hours of DJ service from TJ Anguiano
-Recliner from Steinhafels
- Jewelry from Lia Sophia
- and much, much more
If you would like to donate money please visit http://www.indiegogo.com/autumnmarkos
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- "9 and Dine" Firebird Open Golf Event
- All You Can Eat Breakfast Sunday, April 19th
- State Budget Information Session, Monday, April 20
- Alverno College Cancels Classes For One Day So Students Can Volunteer
- Zumbathon Benefitting Generations Against Bullying
- Faith Community Church offering ALPHA Course Starting April 22
- Oak Creek Library Baby Story Time
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Marvelous Monarch Butterflies
- Ukranian Folk Rock Will Wrap Up Alverno Presents' 55th Season
- Falcon Fest Organizers hope to exceed $10,000 goal