Two Franklin sisters, Izabella “Izzy” Bontempo a seventh grader at Forest Park Middle School and Francesca “Frankie” Bontempo a Fifth Grader at Pleasant View Elementary School have been selected as part of the 16 member Youth Crew for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Chicago June 3-5, 2011.
Both girls were required to complete a formal application, including an essay describing why they want to participate, how they would contribute, and what they would get out of it. There were over 40 applicants for this year’s Youth Crew. This is Izzy’s second year—she’s a veteran “returning crew member” while this is the first year Frankie was old enough to apply. The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Youth Crew allows young people (ages 10-16) to participate and experience the entire Event. This program suggests that young people are capable of contributing to the Event, can get an enormous amount out of the service, and can enhance the experience of all Walk participants.
Several area businesses as well as the girls’ schools (with the help of their school’s Student Councils) have been helping with the fundraising efforts. Being selected for the Youth Crew requires each member to raise a minimum of $500. Ferch’s in Franklin, Buffalo Wild Wings in Oak Creek and Culver’s in Franklin on Ryan Road all committed to donating 10% of proceeds on a specific day in May. DiCarlo’s of Oak Creek is donating a pizza party to the winning classroom from “Money Wars” at Pleasant View Elementary…which has already raised over $1000 and doesn’t end until May 25th! The students at Forest Park Middle School have been purchasing breast cancer awareness bracelets and pink hair extensions from Izzy…and they’ve already raised over $375!
Izzy and Frankie are also hosting a FREE CAR WASH on SUNDAY, MAY 29th from 11am-2pm at the SPEEDWAY on HOWELL…any donations made will be given to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
If you would like to check out how the girls are doing on their overall fundraising goals, please feel free to visit their webpage at www.avonwalk.org click on ‘Donate Now’ and search ‘Bontempo’.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Best Presents Aren't Things presented by Kathi Miller
- All You Can Eat Breakfast Buffet
- Latest “Status of Girls in Wisconsin” report reveals troubling patterns
- Franklin Dental Associates Buys Back Halloween Candy
- Paul Pennoyer Joins Bartelt as a Lead Carpenter
- Franklin Lioness Fair Set for Oct. 25 at MATC's Oak Creek Campus; Proceeds Benefit MATC Scholarships
- West Allis Pastor and Music Director Perform Concert in Sweden
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union
- JV Girls Volleyball wins South East Conference Championship
- Honoring Our Heroes This Veteran’s Day at the Franklin Public Library