With the memory of their seasons opening game overtime loss to CMH still fresh in their minds, the Franklin boys lacrosse team did just enough Friday night against Marquette to earn their first win.
Battling a driving rain, high winds and 38 degree temperatures both teams efforts should be applauded. As in the CMH game Franklin started out fast playing fundamentally sound
lacrosse and was able to carry the play through the first half and took a 2 goal lead into the locker room. Franklin goalie Brennan Kastner made 7 first half saves to frustrate Marquette.
After a 10 minute halftime where both teams were able to dry off and warm-up a bit Marquette made the necessary adjustments to turn the game in their favor. Franklin got away from basic lacrosse, took untimely penalties and allowed Marquette to control the ball time of possesion. The visitors were able to quickly tie the score and ultimately take a lead to end the 3rd period.
The 4th period was more even with Franklin getting back to basics and were able to once again tie the game late. With the rain coming down even harder the level of play picked up as both teams and fans were hoping to avoid an overtime period. It was not be and the game was tied 8 - 8 at the end of regulation.
As the 4 minute sudden death overtime progressed, each team had a couple of decent scoring chances but both goalies and defenses responded and did not allow a goal. Franklin was able to gain control of the ball with 1 minute to go in OT and move down the field. After a few passes the ball went to freshman Jake Fernandes who fired a shot past the Marquette goalie for a 9 - 8 Franklin win setting off a cold , wet dog-pile celebration in the visitors end of the field.
Franklin goalie Brennan Kastner made 11 saves on 19 shots with the home team getting goals from Jared Hoffmann, Matt Shutte, Jared Karow and 3 each from Michael Cuske and Jake Fernandes.
Next Game : Tuesday April, 19 8 pm face-off
Franklin vs Kettle Morraine @ KM High School
Next Home Game: Wed April 20th 6 pm face-off
Franklin vs Arrowhead
Milwaukee County Sports Complex
60 th and Ryan
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local Resident Particiaptes in THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE at Sunset Playhouse
- Refuse To Be A Victim ® Seminar to be Presented in Muskego
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- State Farm Welcomes New Agent Jason Aexel to Muskego
- Annual Flag Day at The Berkshire of Greendale
- WAMI WINNER SCOTT E. BERENDT & THE US PROJECT TO PERFORM AT FOURTH OF JULY COMMUNITY BASH
- Free thing to do at Franklin's 4th of July Civic Celebration
- Catey Ott Dance Collective: 3rd (i) EYE Conscious
- Scholarships for UW-Parkside Nonprofit Leadership Program