Whitnall football team falls to undefeated South Milwaukee
Falcons host Brown Deer Friday
The season-long bugaboo of failing to finish drives came back to bite the Whitnall football team again on Friday night.
The Falcons, hoping to build on the momentum of a 41-0 romp over St. Francis the previous week, instead dropped a frustrating 16-6 game to South Milwaukee at Falcon Field.
"Our offense failed to convert third downs," head coach Jeff Wallack said. "Our inability to finish drives cost us again. Our offense just isn't doing the things it needs to do."
The loss moved Whitnall to 1-2 in Woodland Conference East Division play and 1-4 overall. The Falcons next host Brown Deer (2-1 in the division) at 7 p.m. Friday.
Brown Deer is led by quarterback Zack Baun, who is both a passing and running threat. Baun accounted for 233 total yards in a 42-21 triumph over Cudahy on Friday night.
The Falcons began the South Milwaukee game with a seven-minute drive that was capped by a 3-yard touchdown run by Michael Kremer with 5 minutes, 28 seconds left in the opening quarter.
South Milwaukee tied it early in the second period and the 6-6 tie lasted for the rest of the first half.
"(The teams) just went back and forth, with not much happening either way, after that," Wallack said.
The Rockets added a field goal in the third period and a clinching touchdown in the fourth to improve to 5-0 overall.
Whitnall quarterback Tyler Merritt completed 9-of-27 passes for 106 yards, with Michael Grim catching five for 71 yards.
Nick Monty paced the rushing attack with 42 yards.
Linebacker Drake Ambroch collected seven solo tackles, while linebacker Ben Stojcevic added six tackles. Defensive back Tyler Regeth and Kremer both made interceptions.
"It was a street fight, a real physical game," Wallack said.
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 16, 2016
- Dirienzo, Thiessen, Walton placed in Franklin baseball ring of honor
- Franklin baseball team finds some pitching, posts five straight victories
- Franklin golfers finish strong to take 14th at state
- Franklin, Greendale, Oak Creek and Whitnall Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Franklin golfers visualize state berth, then earn it
- Track and field: Champs Snelson, Pham fuel heady Franklin track run
- Franklin, Greendale, Oak Creek, Whitnall Sport Shorts: June 2, 2016