Even though three-time WIAA state diving champion Rachel Stave is gone, the Whitnall diving team is still winning championships.
The Falcons captured the crown in diving at the Woodland Conference Relays on Sept. 25, tallying 274.7 points to easily beat second-place New Berlin Eisenhower with 226.45 points.
The diving title gave the Falcons 32 team points and sent them well on their way to a solid fifth place in the meet with 173 points.
Senior Brianna Owen, sophomore Lani Cieszynski and freshman Alyssa Doherty followed in the impressive footsteps of the graduated Stave, who won the last three Division 2 crowns and set a division state record as a senior.
Whitnall diving coach Cheryl Weber, who directed Stave during her four years at the school, was happy to see the winning tradition continue.
"The diving team, which has a legacy of being strong in the Woodland, came up with yet another conference title," Weber said. "Lani was very consistent, and her dives in particular helped us to distance ourselves from the rest of the teams."
The 200-yard medley relay team of Kristine Kasper, Jill Kolasinski, Jessica Lehmann and Abby Chiesa earned the highest spot in swimming with a fourth-place finish at 2 minutes, 10.94 seconds.
The 400 medley unit of Kasper, Kolasinski, Elizabeth Streim and Ally Lepper came in sixth (4:49.35).
Capturing seventh were the 800 freestyle group of Sarah Hill, Alex Pentala, Shea Strom and Kasper (10:05.69), the 100 medley group of Kasper, Alixandria Lewison, Hayley Rollins and Chiesa (1:06.62), the 400 freestyle team of Lehmann, Chiesa, Streim and Lepper (4:24.64) and the 300 breaststroke squad of Pentala, Lewison, Samantha Dorlack and Julia Lucey-Arneberg (4:12.68).
"The Woodland has a lot of competition in it, and for Whitnall to place fifth out of 13 teams was fantastic," head coach George Guddie said.
The Falcons had a dual meet against rival Greenfield earlier this week and host St. Francis/St. Thomas More at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
- Franklin's Chmielewski inducted into UW-Oshkosh Hall of Fame
- Metoxen, Reinick lead Franklin baseball team past Brookfield Central
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 16, 2016
- Dirienzo, Thiessen, Walton placed in Franklin baseball ring of honor
- Franklin baseball team finds some pitching, posts five straight victories
- Franklin golfers finish strong to take 14th at state
- Franklin, Greendale, Oak Creek and Whitnall Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Franklin golfers visualize state berth, then earn it