Whitnall boys to compete in six state swim events
Hodel's two firsts lead way in sectional
Led by senior Jake Hodel's two championships, the Whitnall boys swimming and diving team performed well in a WIAA Division 2 sectional at Cudahy on Saturday.
Hodel won both the 100-yard freestyle with 49.47 seconds, 0.01 second better than runnerup Kirill Koralev of Shorewood, and the 100 breaststroke at 1 minute, 21.23 seconds.
He automatically advanced to the state meet, which will be held on Friday night at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Natatorium.
Overall, the Falcons qualified six entries to the state meet.
Senior diver Nick Bell made it to state after taking third in the sectional with 381.65 points.
The 200 medley relay unit of sophomore Michael Beckman, Hodel, senior Jack Larson and freshman Ben Bell also qualified with third place at 1:44.03.
Head coach George Guddie said the 200 medley relay helped set the tone for the entire sectional.
"The relay dropped three seconds (off its seed time) in the first swimming event, and the time drops kept up from there," he said.
Larson, Ben Bell, Beckman and Hodel also advanced in the 400 freestyle relay, taking third in 3:24.31.
The final qualifying spot went to Larson in the 100 butterfly with fifth place at 56.8 seconds, a time drop of two seconds.
The Falcons had other good efforts that did not qualify for the state meet.
Earning fifth were Ben Bell in the 50 freestyle (lifetime-best 23.89 and the fastest for a freshman in the sectional), Jeremiah Hinson in the 100 freestyle (54.18, a three-second time drop) and the 200 freestyle unit of Jake Arteaga, Hinson, Madison Makowski and Ben Bell (1:37.9).
Snaring sixth were Larson in the 200 freestyle (1:53.84, a six-second time drop from his seed time) and Beckman in both the 200 individual medley (2:14.95) and 100 backstroke (1:00.03).
In addition, Arteaga set a personal best in the 50 freestyle (24.83).
The Falcons tallied 248 points for third place in the sectional, which was won by Shorewood's 394 points.
- Franklin's Chmielewski inducted into UW-Oshkosh Hall of Fame
- Metoxen, Reinick lead Franklin baseball team past Brookfield Central
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 16, 2016
- Dirienzo, Thiessen, Walton placed in Franklin baseball ring of honor
- Franklin baseball team finds some pitching, posts five straight victories
- Franklin golfers finish strong to take 14th at state
- Franklin, Greendale, Oak Creek and Whitnall Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Franklin golfers visualize state berth, then earn it