In the 2013-14 season, the Whitnall boys basketball team finished 11-13 overall and 8-9 in the Woodland Conference, records which would indicate an up-and-down campaign.
Head coach Steve Kujawa said, in this case, the numbers do not lie.
"We were inconsistent all season," Kujawa said. "That goes back to the practices, where we didn't always do the things we needed to do."
Part of the Falcons' problem was that they had only two consistent scorers, senior guards Nate Schaefer and Mitch Brault.
Schaefer averaged 20.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists, while Brault was at 15.7 points and 3.8 rebounds per contest.
After that, junior guard Tre Borland finished at 8.1 points per game and freshman guard Kevion Taylor at 5.7 per outing.
Other teams were able to focus most of their defensive attention on Schaefer and Borland, making things much more difficult for them.
Whitnall loses seniors Brault, Schaefer, Jon Drew, Chris Kelnhofer, Blake Stencil, Nick Crivello and Matt Pook, but Kujawa is optimistic about next season.
"We had successful junior varsity and freshman teams," he said. "We need to have a big off-season in strength and conditioning, but I like the pieces we have. We also have some strong incoming freshmen who will get a major look.
"We will be more diverse on offense, with five guys who can put the ball in the basket, but the question is whether we can defend on a consistent basis."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin golfers claim first-ever conference title
- Franklin football team takes a chance and is now tied for SEC lead
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 25, 2014 issue
- Franklin girls cross country team wins own invite, boys sixth
- Oak Creek football team beats Franklin with big plays, 20-12
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin preps for Oak Creek showdown with rout of Kenosha Bradford
- Football: Poll: Will Franklin or Oak Creek win in Week 5 matchup?