The 2013 season is beginning well for the Whitnall boys soccer team.
The Falcons won the Cudahy Classic Tournament on Saturday and easily took their season opener on Aug. 29, routing Monona Grove 9-2.
At Cudahy, Whitnall won its pool with 11 points, tying Waukesha North but prevailing on a tiebreaker.
The Falcons then took on Cudahy/St. Francis in the championship game and played to a 1-1 tie. The game went to a shootout to determine a winner and Whitnall took that by a 3-1 count.
Incidentally, Whitnall began its Woodland Conference schedule against the same Cudahy squad on Wednesday afternoon.
The Falcons received four goals apiece from Petar Miskov and Cade Dombrowski in the victory over Monona Grove on Aug. 29.
Whitnall was up only 3-2 at the half on two scores from Dombrowski and one by Miskov but put away the game quickly early in the second half.
Dombrowski, Joe Schauer and Miskov all tallied to make it 6-2 and the Falcons coasted after that.
Bryan Domitrz, Austin Valiatis, Patrick Schinner, Miskov and Schauer all added assists, with Schauer collecting three of them.
Goalkeeper Max Schwarz made two saves for the contest.
Dombrowski, Miskov and Schauer are all among the veterans from last year's 7-10 squad.
The Falcons welcome Shorewood on Monday and Greendale on Wednesday, both at 4:30 p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Graverson returns as Franklin girls basketball team wins regional
- Girls basketball: Frankin defense sparks rout over West Allis Central
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 26
- Franklin's Larson, Devine head to state wrestling meet
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- Franklin swimmers advance seven entries to state meet
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 12, 2015
- Franklin swimmers rally for third straight Southeast Conference title
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 5, 2015
- Oak Creek girls handle Franklin to take two-game lead in Southeast