Whitnall boys basketball team sweeps two Woodland foes
Falcons tip Hawks, roll past Packers
Nate Schaefer continued his brilliant start to the 2013-14 boys basketball season with two more games of 20-plus points as Whitnall won two Woodland Conference contests last week.
Schaefer poured in 28 points, hitting 18 of 21 from the free throw line, to lead the Falcons to a 63-50 victory over Cudahy on Friday night.
Whitnall clung to a 21-15 halftime advantage, then outscored the Packers 20-11 in the third period to go up 41-26.
Chris Kelnhofer put in 16 points and Tre Borland nine points for the Falcons, who improved to 2-2 in the Woodland Conference East Division and 3-3 overall.
Schaefer tallied 21 points on Dec. 3 as the Falcons nipped Greenfield 44-42. Mitch Brault added 13 points for Whitnall, which tried to take control with a 13-4 first-quarter lead, only to see the Hustlin' Hawks battle back.
Whitnall met Shorewood on Tuesday and will welcome Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. next Tuesday as Woodland play continues.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Gymnastics: Rebuilt co-op gym team wins fourth state title
- Whitnall girls edged at buzzer in basketball regional
- Whitnall falls to Tech in regional
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Co-op gymnasts aim for fourth state title
- Boys basketball: Whitnall squeaks past South Milwaukee
- Whitnall's Bell dives for third
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling tournament
- Beck medals in state diving again as Franklin tankers take 17th
- Xiong leads three state wrestling qualifiers for Franklin