Unfinished business hurts Whitnall football team
Frustration continues for floundering Falcons
The season-long bugaboo of failing to finish drives came back to bite the Whitnall football team again on Friday night.
The Falcons, hoping to build on the momentum of a 41-0 romp over St. Francis the previous week, instead dropped a frustrating 16-6 game to South Milwaukee at Falcon Field.
"Our offense failed to convert third downs," head coach Jeff Wallack said. "Our inability to finish drives cost us again. Our offense just isn't doing the things it needs to do."
The loss moved Whitnall to 1-2 in Woodland Conference East Division play and 1-4 overall. The Falcons next host Brown Deer (2-1 in the division) at 7 p.m. Sept. 27.
Brown Deer is led by quarterback Zack Baun, who is both a passing and running threat. Baun accounted for 233 total yards in a 42-21 triumph over Cudahy on Friday night.
The Falcons began the South Milwaukee game with a seven-minute drive that was capped by a 3-yard touchdown run by Michael Kremer with 5 minutes, 28 seconds left in the opening quarter.
South Milwaukee tied it early in the second period and the 6-6 tie lasted for the rest of the first half.
"(The teams) just went back and forth, with not much happening either way, after that," Wallack said.
The Rockets added a field goal in the third period and a clinching touchdown in the fourth to improve to 5-0 overall.
Whitnall quarterback Tyler Merritt completed 9-of-27 passes for 106 yards, with Michael Grim catching five for 71 yards.
Nick Monty paced the rushing attack with 42 yards.
Linebacker Drake Ambroch collected seven solo tackles, while linebacker Ben Stojcevic added six tackles. Defensive back Tyler Regeth and Kremer both made interceptions.
"It was a street fight, a real physical game," Wallack said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin girls look to knock off Oak Creek in Southeast race
- Franklin boys hoops young and small this winter
- Franklin's Voge breaks state diving record, takes third in impressive field
- Franklin's Voge aims for state diving title
- Franklin volleyball season ends in thrilling sectional loss
- Football: Hilltoppers will get their shot at Kimberly
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 6, 2014 issue
- Fooball: Franklin football team holds off furious Oak Creek rally
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2