Unfinished business hurts Whitnall football team
Frustration continues for floundering Falcons
The season-long bugaboo of failing to finish drives came back to bite the Whitnall football team again on Friday night.
The Falcons, hoping to build on the momentum of a 41-0 romp over St. Francis the previous week, instead dropped a frustrating 16-6 game to South Milwaukee at Falcon Field.
"Our offense failed to convert third downs," head coach Jeff Wallack said. "Our inability to finish drives cost us again. Our offense just isn't doing the things it needs to do."
The loss moved Whitnall to 1-2 in Woodland Conference East Division play and 1-4 overall. The Falcons next host Brown Deer (2-1 in the division) at 7 p.m. Sept. 27.
Brown Deer is led by quarterback Zack Baun, who is both a passing and running threat. Baun accounted for 233 total yards in a 42-21 triumph over Cudahy on Friday night.
The Falcons began the South Milwaukee game with a seven-minute drive that was capped by a 3-yard touchdown run by Michael Kremer with 5 minutes, 28 seconds left in the opening quarter.
South Milwaukee tied it early in the second period and the 6-6 tie lasted for the rest of the first half.
"(The teams) just went back and forth, with not much happening either way, after that," Wallack said.
The Rockets added a field goal in the third period and a clinching touchdown in the fourth to improve to 5-0 overall.
Whitnall quarterback Tyler Merritt completed 9-of-27 passes for 106 yards, with Michael Grim catching five for 71 yards.
Nick Monty paced the rushing attack with 42 yards.
Linebacker Drake Ambroch collected seven solo tackles, while linebacker Ben Stojcevic added six tackles. Defensive back Tyler Regeth and Kremer both made interceptions.
"It was a street fight, a real physical game," Wallack said.
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin to advance to sectional final
- Football: Sabers seniors get one more chance to make on-field impact
- Franklin baseball team downs Sussex Hamilton, Wauwatosa East to take third in Greater Metro
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin, 7-3, advances to GMC final
- Franklin baseball team still searching for consistency as WIAA tournament approaches
- Sports Notes: July 7, 2016
- Franklin's Chmielewski inducted into UW-Oshkosh Hall of Fame
- Metoxen, Reinick lead Franklin baseball team past Brookfield Central
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016