Franklin's Nekich part of UW 'Mega-Team'
The late Dan Nekich, a graduate of Franklin High School, was honored on Saturday at a banquet sponsored by University of Wisconsin sports.
He was a member of a so-called Wisconsin Mega-Team, all of whom made major contributions to Wisconsin collegiate sports over the years.
Nekich was the 1981 Gymnastics All-Around Champion of the United States, competing against Olympian Pete Vidmar in Nebraska. He is also in the UW-Oshkosh Athletic Hall of Fame.
His widow and three children attended the banquet, which was held at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison.
Franklin baseball team announces season awards
The Franklin baseball team revealed its season awards at a banquet last week.
Jake Penegor is the team's most valuable player, while Tyler Gentz was named the most improved player and Nick Pescheck and Austin Hein shared the rookie of the year award.
John Salfer took the Athletic Director's Award for solid performance and Kyle Spott won the team's Sportsmanship Award.
Matt Busalacchi was named the Scholar-Athlete after posting a 4.1 grade-point average. He also made the all-state academic second team.
Collin Bertram won the team honors for batting average, runs batted in and on-base percentage and Evan Kruczynski was given the Fireman Award for best pitcher.
Kruczynski, Penegor and Chad Walton won Gold Gloves for their defensive showing. Walton made no errors this season.
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 16, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 2, 2016
- In brief: Ring of Honor induction
- Sports Notes: May 19, 2016
- Sports Notes: May 5, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 28, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 21
- Sports Notes: April 14, 2016
- Sports Notes: April 7, 2016
- Sports Notes: March 3, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 18, 2016
- Sports Notes: Feb. 4, 2016
- Sports Notes: Dec. 31, 2015
- Sports Notes: Dec. 24, 2015
- Sports Notes: Nov. 26, 2015
- Sports Notes: Sept. 24, 2015
- Sports Notes: July 16, 2015
- Sports Notes: May 2
- Sports Notes: April 23