Good news abounds for Whitnall baseball team
Falcons win two of three in Woodland and coach welcomes new daughter
A pair of Woodland Conference victories made last week a good one for the Whitnall baseball team.
Topping off the week was the fact that head coach Ben Krey welcomed a daughter into the world on June 11.
"It's been a crazy week," Krey said.
On the field, the Falcons split a pair of games with South Milwaukee, winning 6-2 on June 10 and losing 2-1 on June 11, then tipped Cudahy 4-3 in eight innings in a makeup game on Friday. They improved to 7-3 in the Woodland East Division.
The Cudahy game was won on a run-scoring infield single from Tyler Regeth in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The Falcon defense had kept the game tied in the top of the eighth. Cudahy had a runner on third with one out when a fly ball was lofted to rightfielder Danny Weymier, who made the catch and fired a one-hop throw to catcher Jon Drew at the plate to nip the runner for a double play.
Regeth and Brent Sluka each drove in a run for Whitnall, while Sluka pitched a complete-game victory, allowing six hits while striking out five and walking just one.
In the June 10 victory over South Milwaukee, Sam Mentkowski collected three hits and an RBI, Josh Serio two hits and two RBIs and Weymier and Regeth each one RBI.
Mentkowski worked 5 2/3 innings, striking out three, and Weymier finished on the mound.
Serio took a tough loss in the 2-1 game against the Rockets on June 11. He allowed four hits, fanned eight and walked one. Whitnall has scored just one run in his two losses this season.
Mentkowski had two hits and Drew drove in the lone run.
The Falcons lost two games to Pius XI at the University of Illinois-Chicago on Saturday, 10-9 and 7-5. Neither counted in the Woodland standings.
"We had our opportunities," Krey said, "but Pius is playing fundamentally sound baseball and is hot right now."
Whitnall (8-5 overall going into this week) welcomes Greendale at 5 p.m. Thursday, then takes on Pewaukee at 5 p.m. Friday at Waukesha County Technical College.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Franklin football team emphatic in 37-0 rout of area rival Greendale
- Sport Shorts: Aug. 27, 2015
- Football: Franklin shows its special qualities
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Franklin Sabers
- Franklin girls golf team motivated, experienced
- Fortman's iron-man pitching boosts Franklin to state runner-up spot
- Team chemistry, cohesiveness help Franklin baseball team in season turnaround
- Bat boy Jahnke provides extra inspiration for Franklin baseball team
- Ignitors softball team takes second in national tourney
- Baseball: Errors ruin Franklin baseball team's chance at WIAA state championship