Good news abounds for Whitnall baseball team
Falcons win 2 of 3 in Woodland Conference games
A pair of Woodland Conference victories made last week a good one for the Whitnall baseball team.
Topping off the week was the fact that head coach Ben Krey welcomed a daughter into the world June 11.
"It's been a crazy week," Krey said.
On the field, the Falcons split a pair of games with South Milwaukee, winning, 6-2, June 10 and losing, 2-1, June 11, then tipped Cudahy, 4-3, in eight innings in a makeup game Friday. They improved to 7-3 in the Woodland East Division.
The Cudahy game was won on a run-scoring infield single from Tyler Regeth in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The Falcons' defense kept the game tied in the top of the eighth. Cudahy had a runner on third with one out when a fly ball was lofted to rightfielder Danny Weymier, who made the catch and fired a one-hop throw to catcher Jon Drew at the plate to nip the runner for a double play.
Regeth and Brent Sluka each drove in a run for Whitnall, while Sluka pitched a complete-game victory, allowing six hits while striking out five and walking just one.
In the June 10 victory over South Milwaukee, Sam Mentkowski collected three hits and a run batted in, Josh Serio two hits and two RBIs and Weymier and Regeth each one RBI.
Mentkowski worked 52/3 innings, striking out three, and Weymier finished on the mound.
Serio took a tough loss in the 2-1 game against the Rockets on June 11. He allowed four hits, fanned eight and walked one. Whitnall scored just one run in its two losses this season.
Mentkowski had two hits and Drew drove in the lone run.
The Falcons lost two games to Pius XI at the University of Illinois-Chicago on Saturday, 10-9 and 7-5. Neither counted in the Woodland standings.
"We had our opportunities," Krey said, "but Pius is playing fundamentally sound baseball and is hot right now."
Whitnall (8-5 overall going into this week) welcomes Greendale at 5 p.m. Thursday, then takes on Pewaukee at Waukesha County Technical College at 5 p.m. Friday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: Dec. 5
- Franklin football team powered by All-Suburban honorees
- Franklin puts up valiant effort against Arrowhead, but runs out of steam in state title game (1)
- Franklin football team receives a spirited backing at state
- Experience should make Franklin boys basketball team a contender (1)
- Whitnall girls basketball have some questions to answer (1)
- Free throws help Whitnall boys basketball clinch win
- Social media story: 2013 Division 1 prep football state title game: Franklin vs. Arrowhead (1)
- Arrowhead dispatches Franklin to defend Divison 1 state football title (1)
- Whitnall girls duo place at state diving (1)