Franklin wrestlers roll to victory over Oak Creek
Sabers then take 11th at Battle on the Bay
Franklin -The Sabers defeated Oak Creek wrestling in a 61-9 Southeast Conference blowout Dec. 6.
Franklin's winners via pin were Noah Larson (113 pounds), Roman Stiff (145), Myles Devine (182), Kyle Smith (195) and Gavin Devine (220). Smith's win was particularly dominant, coming in 2:36.
Several others won by decision, including Jon Kramschuster (138), Josh Arrington (major at 152), Ethan Potrykus (160) and Dan Peyer (170).
Oak Creek's first win came at 120 pounds, where Isaiah Robinson won a 6-2 decision and made the team score 6-3 in the infancy of the match. At 106 pounds in the final bout of the day, Oak Creek's Derick Mozejewski pinned his man in 3:30.
"We still have things to work on, but we are seeing improvement," Franklin coach Chad Phillippi said after the match. "This weekend we will be tested as we travel north to wrestle in the Battle on the Bay. There are numerous ranked wrestlers and teams competing at this tournament. It should be a good early season test to see where we stack up with some of the best in the state."
At Battle on the Bay, an event hosted by Bay Port on Saturday, Franklin took 11th among 24 teams.
Stiff took second place at 145 pounds, going 4-1 and falling in the championship match to Alex Blaney of Bay Port, 5-0. Kyle Smith took fourth at 195 pounds, with a pair of razor-tight decisions in the semifinal and third-place match.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Lack of hitting hurt Franklin baseball team through year of struggles
- Oak Creek, Greendale prevail in WIAA sectional semifinal contests
- Oak Creek baseball team rallies to top Panthers in sectional final
- Baseball: Ty Ramirez, Zack Henderson combine on no-hitter in regional contest
- Franklin baseball team works out frustrations against Tosa East
- Franklin baseball team still searching for some consistent hitting
- Sustachek's gem among the top, big-moment pitching efforts
- Punchless offense keeps Franklin baseball team struggling
- Franklin baseball team continuing to search for answers to struggles
- Turchin's grand slam lifts Oak Creek baseball team past Franklin, 6-2