Franklin spotted Muskego the first seven points and was never able to catch up in a 41-38 loss Feb. 20 that enabled Muskego to finish undefeated in Southeast Conference play.
After the slow start, Franklin (12-4 SEC North, 15-5 overall) was behind by between five and 11 points and entered the fourth quarter trailing, 32-25. Rachel Neuberger made two free throws and Sarah Mlachnik added a 3-point basket to give the Warriors (16-0 SEC North, 19-1) their biggest lead, 37-25, with 6 minutes, 45 seconds to play.
That was the Warriors final basket, and they went a shaky 4 for 9 from the free throw line during the last 4:13 to keep open the door.
Franklin, which lost a 37-35 heartbreaker at Muskego on Jan. 19, closed to 40-38 on a 3-pointer by Jackie Ward with 14 seconds to go. Katie Ellerson made the first of two free throws with 13 seconds left to bump the lead to three, and Mlachnik made a steal to seal the victory.
Shannon Narlock led Franklin with 10 points. Nikki Dailey added eight, Mariah Hill seven and Ward six.
Ellerson scored 12 points, Mlachnik 11 and Neuberger nine for Muskego.
Franklin will begin WIAA Division 1 tournament competition by playing host to Greenfield at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 24.
- Franklin's Chmielewski inducted into UW-Oshkosh Hall of Fame
- Metoxen, Reinick lead Franklin baseball team past Brookfield Central
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016
- Sports Notes: June 16, 2016
- Dirienzo, Thiessen, Walton placed in Franklin baseball ring of honor
- Franklin baseball team finds some pitching, posts five straight victories
- Franklin golfers finish strong to take 14th at state
- Franklin, Greendale, Oak Creek and Whitnall Sport Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Franklin golfers visualize state berth, then earn it