Franklin spotted Muskego the first seven points and was never able to catch up in a 41-38 loss Feb. 20 that enabled Muskego to finish undefeated in Southeast Conference play.
After the slow start, Franklin (12-4 SEC North, 15-5 overall) was behind by between five and 11 points and entered the fourth quarter trailing, 32-25. Rachel Neuberger made two free throws and Sarah Mlachnik added a 3-point basket to give the Warriors (16-0 SEC North, 19-1) their biggest lead, 37-25, with 6 minutes, 45 seconds to play.
That was the Warriors final basket, and they went a shaky 4 for 9 from the free throw line during the last 4:13 to keep open the door.
Franklin, which lost a 37-35 heartbreaker at Muskego on Jan. 19, closed to 40-38 on a 3-pointer by Jackie Ward with 14 seconds to go. Katie Ellerson made the first of two free throws with 13 seconds left to bump the lead to three, and Mlachnik made a steal to seal the victory.
Shannon Narlock led Franklin with 10 points. Nikki Dailey added eight, Mariah Hill seven and Ward six.
Ellerson scored 12 points, Mlachnik 11 and Neuberger nine for Muskego.
Franklin will begin WIAA Division 1 tournament competition by playing host to Greenfield at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Gymnastics: Rebuilt co-op gym team wins fourth state title
- Whitnall girls edged at buzzer in basketball regional
- Whitnall falls to Tech in regional
- Sports Shorts: March 6
- Co-op gymnasts aim for fourth state title
- Boys basketball: Whitnall squeaks past South Milwaukee
- Whitnall's Bell dives for third
- Whitnall's Monty reaches state wrestling tournament
- Beck medals in state diving again as Franklin tankers take 17th
- Xiong leads three state wrestling qualifiers for Franklin