Franklin spotted Muskego the first seven points and was never able to catch up in a 41-38 loss Feb. 20 that enabled Muskego to finish undefeated in Southeast Conference play.
After the slow start, Franklin (12-4 SEC North, 15-5 overall) was behind by between five and 11 points and entered the fourth quarter trailing, 32-25. Rachel Neuberger made two free throws and Sarah Mlachnik added a 3-point basket to give the Warriors (16-0 SEC North, 19-1) their biggest lead, 37-25, with 6 minutes, 45 seconds to play.
That was the Warriors final basket, and they went a shaky 4 for 9 from the free throw line during the last 4:13 to keep open the door.
Franklin, which lost a 37-35 heartbreaker at Muskego on Jan. 19, closed to 40-38 on a 3-pointer by Jackie Ward with 14 seconds to go. Katie Ellerson made the first of two free throws with 13 seconds left to bump the lead to three, and Mlachnik made a steal to seal the victory.
Shannon Narlock led Franklin with 10 points. Nikki Dailey added eight, Mariah Hill seven and Ward six.
Ellerson scored 12 points, Mlachnik 11 and Neuberger nine for Muskego.
Franklin will begin WIAA Division 1 tournament competition by playing host to Greenfield at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Jared McGranahan happy to be Whitnall's new football coach
- Whitnall softball team off to perfect start
- Sports Shorts: April 10
- Deep Whitnall softball squad has high hopes for 2014 season
- Graverson already setting goals for next season
- Sports Shorts: April 3
- Whitnall bounced back after slow start
- Saber girls achieved tons reloading season
- Whitnall girls track and field team wins Cedarburg Invite
- Franklin boys never got rolling in 9-14 season