Franklin baseball team works out frustrations against Tosa East
Sabers win rout after two tough losses
Plenty of frustration has mounted this season for the Franklin baseball team, and the Sabers worked out some of it in a 12-1 romp over Wauwatosa East on July 10.
Austin Manning went 2-for-3, including a bases-loaded double, and drove in five runs for the game, while Will Toetz worked five strong innings, allowing four hits.
Prior to that victory, the Sabers had dropped Greater Metro Conference tournament games to Oak Creek by a 6-3 count on July 9 and Brookfield Central, 2-1, on July 8.
Against Central, the Sabers took an early 1-0 advantage in the fourth inning but could not build on that, and the Lancers came back with two runs.
Franklin managed just three hits off Matt Ausloos. Ben Zwitter took the loss, working six innings, striking out five and walking one.
The Sabers also jumped on top against Oak Creek, taking a 3-0 lead in the fourth, but they never scored again.
Manning went 3-for-4 with a run batted in and run scored, while Joe Fortman took the defeat, giving up nine hits in six innings.
Head coach Jim Hughes came up with another revealing statistic about the season.
"We led in 10 games that we later lost," he said, "including two against Brookfield Central and two against Oak Creek. It's been our failure to come through in the clutch. We have actually played well otherwise, in pitching and defense."
Franklin, which fell to 11-19 overall, opened WIAA tournament play against Whitnall on July 15. If the Sabers won, they would play at top seed Greendale (27-3) at 7 p.m. Friday, July 18, in a regional championship contest.
The regional champion goes to Greendale at 11 a.m. Monday, July 21, for a sectional semifinal game. The sectional championship contest is at 7 p.m. that day at Greendale.
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin to advance to sectional final
- Football: Sabers seniors get one more chance to make on-field impact
- Franklin baseball team downs Sussex Hamilton, Wauwatosa East to take third in Greater Metro
- Oak Creek baseball team beats Franklin, 7-3, advances to GMC final
- Franklin baseball team still searching for consistency as WIAA tournament approaches
- Sports Notes: July 7, 2016
- Franklin's Chmielewski inducted into UW-Oshkosh Hall of Fame
- Metoxen, Reinick lead Franklin baseball team past Brookfield Central
- Franklin baseball team wins own wood bat tournament after struggling in GMC
- Sports Notes: June 23, 2016