Franklin baseball team works out frustrations against Tosa East
Sabers win rout after two tough losses
Plenty of frustration has mounted this season for the Franklin baseball team, and the Sabers worked out some of it in a 12-1 romp over Wauwatosa East on July 10.
Austin Manning went 2-for-3, including a bases-loaded double, and drove in five runs for the game, while Will Toetz worked five strong innings, allowing four hits.
Prior to that victory, the Sabers had dropped Greater Metro Conference tournament games to Oak Creek by a 6-3 count on July 9 and Brookfield Central, 2-1, on July 8.
Against Central, the Sabers took an early 1-0 advantage in the fourth inning but could not build on that, and the Lancers came back with two runs.
Franklin managed just three hits off Matt Ausloos. Ben Zwitter took the loss, working six innings, striking out five and walking one.
The Sabers also jumped on top against Oak Creek, taking a 3-0 lead in the fourth, but they never scored again.
Manning went 3-for-4 with a run batted in and run scored, while Joe Fortman took the defeat, giving up nine hits in six innings.
Head coach Jim Hughes came up with another revealing statistic about the season.
"We led in 10 games that we later lost," he said, "including two against Brookfield Central and two against Oak Creek. It's been our failure to come through in the clutch. We have actually played well otherwise, in pitching and defense."
Franklin, which fell to 11-19 overall, opened WIAA tournament play against Whitnall on July 15. If the Sabers won, they would play at top seed Greendale (27-3) at 7 p.m. Friday, July 18, in a regional championship contest.
The regional champion goes to Greendale at 11 a.m. Monday, July 21, for a sectional semifinal game. The sectional championship contest is at 7 p.m. that day at Greendale.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin boys volleyball team wins Southeast divisional title
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Franklin girls cross country team wins 5th straight SEC title
- This SEC title a special one for Franklin football team
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Franklin closes in on SEC title with win over Indian Trail
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Franklin's Bartels inspires, qualifies for state tennis tournament
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8