Whitnall softball team clinches share of Woodland championship
Falcons top Hawks in 1-0 pitchers' duel
For the second straight season, the Whitnall softball team shared the honor of having the best record in the Woodland Conference.
The Falcons routed Pewaukee 11-1 on May 19 and slipped past Greenfield 1-0 on May 20 to finish 16-2 in Woodland play, even with South Milwaukee.
The Rockets won the East Division title with an 11-1 mark, one game ahead of Whitnall (10-2). Greenfield took third at 9-3.
The Falcons went 23-3 for the regular season and began WIAA Division 2 regional play on May 27 at home against Wisconsin Lutheran.
If they won, they would play either New Berlin West or New Berlin Eisenhower at home on Thursday, May 29, for a regional title.
The winner there goes to Cudahy at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 3, for a sectional semifinal contest.
On May 20, the Falcons managed just two hits against Greenfield ace Bella Matthias, who struck out 19.
Those hits were a double by Renee Caron and a bunt single from Sierra Grubor.
Whitnall tallied once in the fifth inning on a walk to Lara Stachowski, a wild pitch, a ball in the dirt and a groundout by Valeri Nowak.
The Falcons played tight defense, including a running catch down the rightfield line by Nowak, and pitchers Alex Cimler and Stachowski kept the Hustlin' Hawks off the board.
Stachowski came in with one out and runners at second and third in the sixth inning and got a strikeout and groundout to first. She then forced three grounders in the seventh for the save.
Against Pewaukee on May 19, Cimler allowed four hits in five innings and Thon went 3-for-4 with five runs batted in and Grubor 2-for-3 with two RBIs. Caron and Sydney Opdahl both drove in runs.
Thon finished the week with 37 RBIs and 15 extra-base hits on the season, while Cimler, Stachowski and Sarah Bauer each had earned-run averages well below 2.00.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin girls battle through adversity to an 18-7 record
- Franklin boys track team opens up with invite win
- Taste of defeat Taste of
- Franklin boys basketball team reflects on struggles in 4-19 season
- Franklin and Oak Creek send six football players to college
- Oak Creek girls basketball team grinds out sectional victory over Franklin
- Girls basketball: Oak Creek girls basketball team edges Franklin in sectional semifinal
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- Graverson returns as Franklin girls basketball team wins regional
- Girls basketball: Franklin girls' defense sparks rout over West Allis Central