Led by Franklin, area squads dominate WIAA golf regional
Sought state berths at Oakwood on Tuesday
Franklin claimed team honors and Whitnall's Clayton Anderson and Oak Creek's Kaylor Steger tied for the individual medalist position as area teams dominated in the WIAA regional boys golf tournament at the Broadlands in North Prairie on May 23.
Franklin, Whitnall, Oak Creek and Greendale all took part in the WIAA sectional tournament at Oakwood on Tuesday. The top two teams and first three individuals not on those teams advanced to the WIAA State Tournament on Monday and Tuesday at University Ridge in Verona.
The area teams earned the sectional berths after claiming the top four spots in the regional. Franklin won with an 18-hole score of 330, while Whitnall came in with a 334, Oak Creek 338 and Greendale 340.
The winning Sabers were led by Alex Simonson with a third-place score of 77, while Nick Cervantes and Sean Sanguansap each came in with 84s. They also got help from Matt Schauer with an 85 and John Trepanier with a 92.
Whitnall's Anderson matched Oak Creek's Steger with a 75, good for a two-stroke win in the individual competition.
Anderson was helped out by John Caron with an 84, Sam Watson with an 85, Mitch Molbeck with a 90 and Thayne Krause with a 105.
Steger picked up assistance from Knights teammates Derrick Dilts (86), Sam Lecci (88), Mitch Srnec (89), and Shawn Fettig (92).
Greendale was led by fourth-place individual finisher Alexander Rendon with an 81, while Matt Tomczyk came in with an 85, Danny Jensen an 86, Brady Hennessy 88, and Joey Robb 97.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bat boy Jahnke provides extra inspiration for Franklin baseball team
- Ignitors softball team takes second in national tourney
- Baseball: Errors ruin Franklin baseball team's chance at WIAA state championship
- Baseball: Franklin strikes early, rolls past Plymouth in state semifinal
- Fortman pitches Franklin past Greenfield in regional championship
- Sports Notes: July 16, 2015
- Franklin baseball team pulls out three narrow victories to close regular season
- Franklin baseball team continues on hot streak with three more victories
- Franklin baseball team creeping back into Greater Metro Conference race
- Franklin baseball team takes advantage of walks to upset Creek, 12-8