The deciding game is set.
The Franklin and Oak Creek baseball teams will meet for the third time on Saturday, and this time, the stakes are particularly high.
The Sabers and Knights will clash in a WIAA sectional championship game at South Milwaukee at 10:30 a.m., vying for a berth in next week's state tournament at Stevens Point.
They split two Greater Metro Conference games during the season and finished one-two in the regular-season standings. Franklin then claimed second place and Oak Creek third in the conference tournament.
The Sabers (25-7) advanced with an 11-2 victory over Greenfield on Friday evening.
Franklin pounded out 11 hits, led by Jake Penegor at 3-for-4 with one run batted in, Jay Dirienzo 2-for-3 with a double and two RBIs and Marcus Schlemm 1-for-2 with a double and two RBIs.
Ian Malmstadt picked up the victory, working six innings and allowing five hits.
The Sabers scored four times in the first inning but were up only 4-2 going into the bottom of the fifth inning.
They tallied twice on a bunt single from Evan Kruczynski, a single to centerfield from Penegor, an error on another bunt and a run-scoring single from Joel Kornhoff.
Franklin then put away the game with five in the sixth, all after two outs. Penegor singled home one run and pinch-hitter Collin Bertram doubled home two more to highlight the rally.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin baseball team creeping back into Greater Metro Conference race
- Franklin baseball team takes advantage of walks to upset Creek, 12-8
- Pitching leads Franklin baseball team to 4-0 week
- Franklin baseball team looks to cut down on mistakes
- Sport Shorts: June 18, 2015
- Sport Shorts: June 11, 2015
- Sport Shorts: June 4, 2015
- Franklin girls advance eight entries to state track meet
- Group effort propels six Franklin entries to state
- SPORTS SHORTS: May 28