A good number of local athletes earned high places in the 2011 Special Olympics of Wisconsin State Summer Games in Stevens Point earlier this month.
Franklin residents winning events were Roger Zientek Jr. in the 50-meter dash, Hayley Schneider, Matthew Compton, Jonathan Hammond and Nicholas Kastner in the 4x100 track relay; Christi Glines in the shot put, Hammond in the shot put and Renee Potts in the standing long jump.
Other winners were Melissa Berry of Oak Creek in the standing long jump and Daniel Mersman of Greendale in the 200 dash.
Franklin residents taking second were Hammond in the 100 dash, Jada Avila in the shot put, Julie Schneider in the softball throw and in the standing long jump and Hayley Schneider, Kimberly Mayer, Craig Zientek and Compton, all in the turbo javelin.
Also finishing second were Elizabeth Herman of Oak Creek in the 50 dash and turbo javelin, Berry in the 50 dash and Mersman in the 4x200 track relay.
Franklin athletes claiming third were Avila in the 50 dash, Mayer in the standing long jump, Roger Zientek Jr. in the standing long jump and Glines in the turbo javelin.
Noah Loveless of Hales Corners came in third in the 200 dash, 4x100 track relay and turbo javelin.
Also coming in third were Berry in the softball throw, Eric Lemke of Greendale in the 50 dash and Sarah Mersman of Greendale in the 4x200 track relay.
Franklin residents capturing fourth were Craig Zientek in the 100 dash and Avila in the turbo javelin. Sarah Mersman was fourth in the 200 dash and 400 dash.
Claiming fifth were Kevin Jenjak of Franklin in the standing long jump, Walter Melin of Oak Creek in the 50 dash and softball throw and Adam Pethes of Greendale in the 100 dash.
Potts was sixth in the softball throw and Kastner seventh in the turbo javelin.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall girls basketball team looks back on season of ups, downs
- Whitnall softball team returns eight starters, looks for another strong season
- Franklin boys track team third in Racine Case Invite
- Franklin girls battle through adversity to an 18-7 record
- Franklin boys track team opens up with invite win
- Taste of defeat Taste of
- Franklin boys basketball team reflects on struggles in 4-19 season
- Franklin and Oak Creek send six football players to college
- Oak Creek girls basketball team grinds out sectional victory over Franklin
- Girls basketball: Oak Creek girls basketball team edges Franklin in sectional semifinal