Franklin - An alert was issued to area medical centers and hospitals after two people attempted to steal old X-ray films from two medical facilities in Franklin on April 2, according to a Franklin police report.
Also in the report:
The people, who posed as employees of a recycling company contracted by the facility's administration to pick up old X-rays, attempted to steal X-ray film from Aurora-Franklin Medical Center, 9200 W. Loomis Road, at 4:50 p.m. April 2.
Police received a second report at 5:10 p.m. after the same two people attempted to steal recyclable X-ray films from Wheaton Franciscan Hospital, 10101 S. 27th St.
The people, described as two white males, were captured on video surveillance when they attempted to steal X-rays at the Aurora-St. Luke's Main Campus at 27th Street and Oklahoma Avenue at 3:45 p.m. March 29. During each incident the men also were seen driving a silver Toyota Tundra pickup truck with carpet in the rear bed.
Stealing X-ray film has become a common trend in the U.S. over the past couple years. The X-rays contain silver that can be extracted by using a chemical solution, and thieves can quickly turn the harvested silver into cash.
According to police, the men represented themselves to medical staff as employees of "Macy's Surplus and Demo," "Macy's Silver Recovery" or similar variations of that name. The men also have left business cards behind at several locations.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Rock announces July Fourth celebration plans
- Sink or Swim: Franklin girl fights through early stages of a cancer diagnosis (1)
- Going Fourth: Where to celebrate holiday in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners
- Franklin residents voice concerns about potential sidewalks
- Franklin police report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Forest Park Middle School named school of distinction, merit
- Public Forum: Franklin has poor track record on taking action
- News & Notes: June 25, 2015 issue
- In name of beer, volunteers lend a hand at Franklin's Hunger Task Force Farm
- Motion to dismiss for couple charged with locking daughter in basement denied