Franklin - An alert was issued to area medical centers and hospitals after two people attempted to steal old X-ray films from two medical facilities in Franklin on April 2, according to a Franklin police report.
Also in the report:
The people, who posed as employees of a recycling company contracted by the facility's administration to pick up old X-rays, attempted to steal X-ray film from Aurora-Franklin Medical Center, 9200 W. Loomis Road, at 4:50 p.m. April 2.
Police received a second report at 5:10 p.m. after the same two people attempted to steal recyclable X-ray films from Wheaton Franciscan Hospital, 10101 S. 27th St.
The people, described as two white males, were captured on video surveillance when they attempted to steal X-rays at the Aurora-St. Luke's Main Campus at 27th Street and Oklahoma Avenue at 3:45 p.m. March 29. During each incident the men also were seen driving a silver Toyota Tundra pickup truck with carpet in the rear bed.
Stealing X-ray film has become a common trend in the U.S. over the past couple years. The X-rays contain silver that can be extracted by using a chemical solution, and thieves can quickly turn the harvested silver into cash.
According to police, the men represented themselves to medical staff as employees of "Macy's Surplus and Demo," "Macy's Silver Recovery" or similar variations of that name. The men also have left business cards behind at several locations.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Franklin students drop the textbook, pick up the Chromebook
- News & Notes: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin digs deeper into quarry issues
- Franklin Educational Foundation to hold beer-tasting "Cheers to Education" event Oct. 17
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Franklin to host Family Health Night
- News & Notes: Sept. 11, 2014
- Franklin emergency crews respond to overturned truck
- Community Calendar: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue