Franklin - The Home Depot, 6489 S. 27th St, was evacuated about 8 p.m. Saturday after a fire broke out in a heating, ventilation and air-conditioning unit on the store's rooftop. There were no reported injuries.
According to Fire Chief Adam Remington, firefighters found the HVAC unit on the west side of the building on 27th Street in flames when they arrived.
"It appears the HVAC was malfunctioning," said Remington, but the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
The fire quickly died after fire crews shut down electrical service and turned off the gas. It's estimated the fire caused $12,000 in damage.
The Home Depot was open for regularly scheduled store hours the next day.
- Franklin community shows support for local police officers
- Moth Night at Wehr Nature Center July 29&30
- Gas leak in Franklin causes traffic stop, evacuation
- Traffic blocked for gas leak near Old Loomis Rd and Rawson Ave
- News & Notes: July 21, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: July 21, 2016 issue
- FPS announces district and school administrators for new school year
- Franklin police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- Pokemon Go can go anywhere, but you shouldn't, police say
- Franklin Poms dancers donate toys to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin