Franklin — Former Alderman Steve Olson and Common Council President Steve Taylor will progress to the spring election, having beaten former Alderman Basil Ryan in Tuesday's primary.
The city's current mayor, Tom Taylor, decided last year not to run for another term.
According to unofficial results Tuesday:
Steve Olson 1,096
Steve Taylor 722
Basil Ryan 536
Results remain unofficial until certified by a board of canvassers, which met after press deadline.
Steve Olson served as alderman for the city's 2nd District from 1998 to 2001 and alderman for the 1st District from 2004 to 2013.
"It's hard to know just how well you're going to do," he said, "(but) it's apparent to me that Franklin residents need a mayor that will focus on their needs."
In addition to serving on the Common Council, Steve Taylor also represents the 9th District on the Milwaukee County Board.
"I'm happy to get through the primary ... and to fight for another day," he said. "I'm looking forward to talking about the issues."
In a Q-and-A with NOW earlier this month, both candidates pledged to help develop new commercial development in Franklin and to maintain public safety services.
Both men claim to bring different strengths from their backgrounds to fill the mayoral seat: Steve Olson, his pragmatism as a successful businessman, and Steve Taylor, his experience serving roles in multiple levels of government.
The spring election will be held April 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin police report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Tornado took the wind out of spirited city retail debate
- Franklin 4th District voters consider recall of alderwoman (4)
- News & Notes: Sept. 3, 2015
- Franklin recall candidates sound off on dysfunction, development, goals (27)
- Reiman Chapel in Franklin to host blessing, tour for public
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Things to Do: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Franklin police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Public Forum: Janet Evans deserves to finish her term (6)