Oak Creek - An alert off-duty security officer thwarted a shoplifting attempt at Pick 'n Save, 2320 W. Ryan Road, at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 18, and detained one of the suspects until police arrived.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
An off-duty loss prevention contractor for Roundy's was shopping at the store when he saw two men loading a cart with baby formula. The officer recognized one of the men as a shoplifting suspect from recent store alerts and immediately told the store manager. When the manager attempted to stop the men at the store exit, one, a 51-year-old Milwaukee man, pushed the manager back and reached toward his waistband. Fearing the man had a weapon, the security officer wrestled him to the floor and held him until police arrived.
Pick 'n Save employees locked the front doors during the incident for the safety of incoming customers.
The second man involved in the theft attempt is described as a stocky black man wearing a multi-colored plaid shirt. He drove off in a silver or tan Buick Century.
Officers discovered the 51-year-old man is wanted on a warrant for retail theft with the West Allis Police Department and on five warrants for grand theft in Florida.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Saber Stadium Project moves to finish in fall in Franklin
- Sentry site proposed for community center use in Franklin
- Police Report: March 4
- News & Notes: March 4
- Whitnall panel gets 'ideas,' and prices, for facility fixes in Greenfield and Hales Corners
- Timber Wolf Preservation Society quietly goes out of business
- Kleefisch, Chandler praise Walker's record
- Two Oak Creek-Franklin schools likely to have safer entrances next fall
- Mystery group targeted Ryan
- Basil Ryan plans write-in mayoral bid