Oak Creek - Police are seeking two men who stole pull tabs from machines, then cashed them in for money at local gas stations last week.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
Two men began playing the pull-tab machine at Mobil Gas, 9510 S. 27th St., about 4:45 p.m. Dec. 8. They continued to play the machine for about two hours, according to the station manager, and cashed in their winning pull tabs for $725.
The theft went unnoticed until the next day, when a gas station employee told the manager he thought it was strange when he found the machine was completely out of pull tabs and no money had been deposited into the machine.
According to the manager, the men apparently used some kind of device or fraudulent bill to obtain the pull tabs without payment being deposited into the machine. The men apparently emptied the machine of 929 pull-tabs, valued at $1 each, adding up to a total loss of $1,654 to Mobil Gas.
The men are described as two heavy-set men with goatees and Southern accents. One appeared to be in his mid-40s and was wearing a black Carhart sweatshirt, jeans and a white baseball cap, and the other was wearing a red T-shirt, dark-colored shorts and a baseball cap. The men were last seen in an older model, four-door maroon vehicle, possibly a Cadillac, with no front license plate.
On Dec. 11, police received a report of two men stealing pull-tabs at Shell Gas, 2170 W. Ryan Road. The station manager told police that two men came into the store about 7:15 p.m. Dec. 9, played the pull tab machine and cashed in $19 worth of winning tickets. The theft was discovered two days later when employees found no money had been deposited into the machine and 102 tickets were missing, adding up to total loss of $121 to Shell.
The suspect and vehicle descriptions were the same in both incidents. The Greenfield Police Department also reported a similar incident with suspects fitting the same description.
An investigation is ongoing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- The Rock announces July Fourth celebration plans
- Sink or Swim: Franklin girl fights through early stages of a cancer diagnosis (1)
- Going Fourth: Where to celebrate holiday in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners
- Franklin residents voice concerns about potential sidewalks
- Franklin police report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Forest Park Middle School named school of distinction, merit
- Public Forum: Franklin has poor track record on taking action
- News & Notes: June 25, 2015 issue
- In name of beer, volunteers lend a hand at Franklin's Hunger Task Force Farm
- Motion to dismiss for couple charged with locking daughter in basement denied