New Franklin park indeed aims for 'Pleasant View'
Construction under way in 24-acre project
Franklin — Construction is currently under way for Pleasant View Park, which will feature a softball diamond and two tennis courts.
The 24-acre park, located at the end of Evergreen Street off South 51st Street, is expected to be completed by late September. The Franklin Common Council awarded a bid for the project earlier this summer.
"It's pretty nice out there," Planning Manager Joel Dietl said. "There's a great scenic view, and the land is bigger than you think. There's a lot of permanent open space."
The total cost of the project will fall just below $1 million. Park impact fees are expected to cover a vast majority for the project, said Paul Rotzenberg, treasurer and director of finance.
Included in the project is an extension of West Evergreen Street. The extension will be the only entryway for vehicles into the park.
"(Evergreen Street) will extend into the parcel and stop at the park, leading to the parking lot," Dietl explained.
BCF Construction, the city's contractor for the street extension and park development, began construction on July 15 and is in the process of grating the street entrance and extending sewer and water utilities into the park, said Assistant City Engineer Ron Romeis.
"This is just a lot of preparatory work," Romeis said. "One of the priorities is to control water runoff. We've been getting some rain, so we need to be able to drain the site and make sure the road is in place and stable before we begin working on the ball diamond and tennis courts."
Romeis said one his favorite aspects of the park will be the trail for bicyclists and pedestrians.
The trail will extend from the parking lot to connect with the Pleasant View/Victory Creek Trail, which runs north and south of Franklin.
"Evergreen residents will now be able to access the trail, which links everything together," Romeis said. "To me, that's a real plus."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin to negotiate terms of West St. Martins Road repair, ownership with Milwaukee County
- News & Notes: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin resident Mary Mainella just one of many older adults serving Milwaukee’s veterans through Interfaith
- Homeward bound: Victory of the Lamb, Kayla's Krew move closer to making new facilities a reality
- Franklin police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- Franklin man faces arson charge for allegedly starting apartment fire (1)
- Arson suspect of Franklin apartment complex fire taken into custody
- News & Notes: Dec. 4, 2014 issue