Yes, there are fireworks in the works for the Independence Day holiday weekend, but there are also parades and more in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners.
Here's a summary of activities, including those that fall on days other than July 4.
· Parade: 9 a.m. Friday, July 4, starting at Groveland Drive and Shepard Avenue. It will wind its way through the city and end at American Legion Post 434. There will be games; a bike and buggy decorating contest; and free ice cream for the kids following the conclusion of the parade. There will also be a limited supply of corn on the cob and baked potatoes for purchase at the Upper Legion Grounds, S. Shepard Ave.
· Fireworks: dusk July 4. They will take place at East Middle School, 9330 S. Shepard Ave.
· Festival: 5 p.m. to midnight July 3. It starts the three-day Civic Celebration with live entertainment, complete with carnival rides and an arm wrestling contest at Lions Legend Park, 8717 W. Drexel Ave.
Raffle: 5 to 9 p.m. July 3 and 12:30 to 8 p.m. July 4. The Franklin Historical Society will be having a special raffle of many varieties of meats from Ray's Butcher Shop. The raffle will be set up by the main music tent at the festival. All proceeds will go toward the historical society's barn project.
· Parade and fireworks: 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. July 4. The second day of the festival begins with a parade starting at West Loomis Rd. and Forest Hill Ave. and proceeds north on Loomis, turning right on Drexel to Lions Legend Park. The fun continues into the afternoon with live, local entertainment and carnival rides, ending the day with fireworks at dusk.
· Final day of the festival: noon to 11:30 p.m. July 5. It ends the weekend with more carnival rides and live entertainment from Doo-Wop Daddies Band, Thunderbolt DJ Show and Cold Sweat and The Brew City Horns.
· Festival kickoff: 7 to 11 p.m. July 3. It starts the three-day festival with a musical performance by Cold Sweat & Brew City Horns at the gazebo in downtown Greendale, 5710 Broad St.
· Parade: 10 a.m. July 4. Following the parade, the Greendale Lions Club will serve food and beverages while providing musical entertainment in the tent next to the gazebo throughout the day. Fireworks will launch at dusk across from Greendale High School, 6801 Southway.
· Final festival performances: noon to 3 p.m. July 5. Finishing the festival are musical performances by Ed Franks as Frank Sinatra, Jackie Brown & the Boys and Rhythm Method.
· Parade: July 4. There is a new parade route due to construction. The parade will begin at Grange Avenue and travel southwest on Forest Home Avenue, ending at Kelm Road.
· Fireworks: dusk July 4. They take place at Hales Corners Park, 5765 New Berlin Road.
- Warrior Dash obstacle course coming to The Rock Aug. 13
- Franklin High School wins awards for "Fiddler on the Roof"
- News & Notes: May 26, 2016 issue
- Classes resume at Franklin High School following evacuation
- Franklin police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ryan schedules mobile office tour dates
- Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek Memorial-ize the holiday
- Construction blooms in Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer