Hales Corners - The village will dedicate its new veterans memorial at 2 p.m. Sunday, and invites the community to come pay tribute to those who have served in the U.S. military.
The memorial, consisting of five pillars set in a 50-foot-square plaza and shaped in a five-pointed star, is in Hales Corners Park, located near 116th Street and New Berlin Road, next to the Hales Corners Library. Each pillar represents one of the five branches of the U.S. military: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard.
A lighted U.S. flag will fly in the center of the pillars.
In all, it took two years to complete the memorial; work just wrapped up last week.
The flag will be raised for the first time; guest speakers including Major Gen. Donald Dunbar will share their thoughts.
Village Trustee Don Schwartz will be the master of ceremonies.
"The whole community knows about the event," Schwartz said. "We are expecting between 1,000 and 2,000 people to attend."
After the ceremony, food, beverages and music will be served up under a 40-by-80-foot tent until 8 p.m. The Hales Corners Public Library will be serving cookies and lemonade between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m.
The veterans memorial project has raised $200,000 to date and organizers are selling engraved bricks to those who wish to memorialize or honor a loved one.
The bricks range in price from $100 to $5,000, depending on the size.
"We have sold 800 bricks so far," Schwartz said. "There are still a lot more available for anyone who is interested."
To order a brick or learn more about the veterans memorial, visit HalesCorners.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Mequon named top K-12 district in state
- Franklin digs deeper into quarry issues
- Franklin Educational Foundation to hold beer-tasting "Cheers to Education" event Oct. 17
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Franklin to host Family Health Night
- News & Notes: Sept. 11, 2014
- Franklin emergency crews respond to overturned truck
- Community Calendar: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue