Milwaukee — Greendale resident Jorge L. Cabal has been charged with fourth-degree sexual assault for allegedly groping a sheriff's deputy in Whitnall Park.
The charge against Cabal, 53, was filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on Nov. 20.
Cabal was arrested about noon Oct. 23; he is accused of fondling the male deputy without consent.
The deputy, who wore plain clothes, was in a Targeted Enforcement Unit to curb illegal sexual activity in the county parks.
In the weeks prior to Cabal's arrest, the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office had received a series of calls regarding sexual activity and solicitation in the county parks, Public Information Officer Fran McLaughlin said. To address those reports, deputies went undercover to catch the perpetrators.
According to the criminal complaint, Cabal followed the undercover deputy into a wooded area of the park and made a remark about the cold weather before placing his hand, uninvited, on the deputy's groin.
The incident occurred near a bathroom, parking lot and children's playground, the deputy noted in the complaint.
Other men have been arrested during the sting operation as well, most notably Lee Erickson, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Chorus director.
As of Nov. 5, 11 men had been arrested for illegal sexual behavior in the Milwaukee County Parks since the operation began in late October. Not all have been charged yet.
"Public spaces weren't designed for this kind of activity," Sheriff David A. Clarke stated in a news release. "This is a quality-of-life issue. People want to enjoy their open-air spaces in the parks without being solicited, assaulted or witnessing this type of behavior."
Cabals' pre-trial is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Dec. 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: July 30, 2015 issue
- Things to Do: July 30, 2015 issue
- Parks commission chairman lashes out at Franklin Common Council (1)
- Trio tries to add key points with their new Franklin sports bar (1)
- Franklin police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Kayla's Playground groundbreaking (1)
- Franklin parks commissioner calls out common council
- Local pediatrician stars in commercial for Kohls
- Franklin police report: July 23, 2015 issue
- Kayla playground project leaps forward in Franklin (1)