Milwaukee — Greendale resident Jorge L. Cabal has been charged with fourth-degree sexual assault for allegedly groping a sheriff's deputy in Whitnall Park.
The charge against Cabal, 53, was filed in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on Nov. 20.
Cabal was arrested about noon Oct. 23; he is accused of fondling the male deputy without consent.
The deputy, who wore plain clothes, was in a Targeted Enforcement Unit to curb illegal sexual activity in the county parks.
In the weeks prior to Cabal's arrest, the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office had received a series of calls regarding sexual activity and solicitation in the county parks, Public Information Officer Fran McLaughlin said. To address those reports, deputies went undercover to catch the perpetrators.
According to the criminal complaint, Cabal followed the undercover deputy into a wooded area of the park and made a remark about the cold weather before placing his hand, uninvited, on the deputy's groin.
The incident occurred near a bathroom, parking lot and children's playground, the deputy noted in the complaint.
Other men have been arrested during the sting operation as well, most notably Lee Erickson, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra Chorus director.
As of Nov. 5, 11 men had been arrested for illegal sexual behavior in the Milwaukee County Parks since the operation began in late October. Not all have been charged yet.
"Public spaces weren't designed for this kind of activity," Sheriff David A. Clarke stated in a news release. "This is a quality-of-life issue. People want to enjoy their open-air spaces in the parks without being solicited, assaulted or witnessing this type of behavior."
Cabals' pre-trial is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Dec. 18.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Franklin students drop the textbook, pick up the Chromebook
- News & Notes: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin digs deeper into quarry issues
- Franklin Educational Foundation to hold beer-tasting "Cheers to Education" event Oct. 17
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Franklin to host Family Health Night
- News & Notes: Sept. 11, 2014
- Franklin emergency crews respond to overturned truck
- Community Calendar: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue