Franklin — Alexis Daubner, a student at Carthage College in Kenosha, will be tracing the route of the Allied forces as part of a college program beginning June 6 — the 70th anniversary of D-Day.
Daubner, a Franklin resident, said she could not miss out on an opportunity to visit Europe through the college program.
"History has always been a passion for me," she said. "Even though I'm going into the medical field, I couldn't say 'no' to a trip to Europe."
The World War II study tour, led by Carthage Professor Eric Pullin and another professor from Ohio's Ashland University will begin in the battlefields of Normandy. The group, made up of more than two dozen students, will then visit the D-Day preparation grounds in Portsmouth, England, before following the route of Allied forces using sea transportation.
Students will also relive the experiences of the U.S. Army's "Big Red One" 1st Division; see the settings used in the film "Saving Private Ryan" and the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers"; and visit the Churchill War Rooms museum. They will also visit the site of the Munich Agreement and the Dachau concentration camp in Germany.
"My great grandfather was in the 101st Airborne Division, so there are some strong ties for me to visit," Daubner said.
Although she is not too acquainted with other students participating in the study tour, Daubner said she is excited for the experience.
"I chose the program for the trip," she said. "The friends will come later."
Students will return from the trip June 19.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: Franklin students drop the textbook, pick up the Chromebook
- News & Notes: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin digs deeper into quarry issues
- Franklin Educational Foundation to hold beer-tasting "Cheers to Education" event Oct. 17
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Franklin to host Family Health Night
- News & Notes: Sept. 11, 2014
- Franklin emergency crews respond to overturned truck
- Community Calendar: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue