Two women who attempted to evade police after shoplifting more than $1,600 worth of merchandise at the Franklin Walmart were arrested after their car struck a street sign on Sunday, Franklin police said.
According to a Franklin Police Department statement:
Officers responded to Walmart, 6701 S. 27th St., after an employee reported two women were trying to shoplift $1,650 worth of merchandise about 1:47 p.m. Sunday. An officer found the suspects' vehicle near Walmart and attempted to pull it over, but the driver failed to stop and instead led police on a 2.5-mile pursuit.
The pursuit ended about 2 p.m. when the suspects' vehicle spun out and struck a street sign at College Avenue and Lake Drive in Cudahy, where the suspects, a 36-year-old Milwaukee woman and an 18-year-old Milwaukee woman, were taken into custody.
The 36-year-old woman was arrested for fleeing/eluding police and retail theft. The 18-year-old woman was arrested for retail theft and on an Outagamie County Sheriff's Department warrant for prostitution and obstructing an officer.
Franklin police were assisted by the Oak Creek, Cudahy and South Milwaukee police departments, as well as the Wisconsin State Patrol. Charges against the two women are pending.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Going Fourth: Where to celebrate holiday in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners
- Franklin residents voice concenrs about potential sidewalks
- Franklin police report: July 2, 2015 issue
- Forest Park Middle School named school of distinction, merit
- News & Notes: June 25, 2015 issue
- In name of beer, volunteers lend a hand at Franklin's Hunger Task Force Farm
- Motion to dismiss for couple charged with locking daughter in basement denied
- Franklin police report: June 25, 2015 issue
- Pizano's looks to open frozen pizza factory in Franklin
- Summer road construction projects dig in deep in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners