Two women who attempted to evade police after shoplifting more than $1,600 worth of merchandise at the Franklin Walmart were arrested after their car struck a street sign on Sunday, Franklin police said.
According to a Franklin Police Department statement:
Officers responded to Walmart, 6701 S. 27th St., after an employee reported two women were trying to shoplift $1,650 worth of merchandise about 1:47 p.m. Sunday. An officer found the suspects' vehicle near Walmart and attempted to pull it over, but the driver failed to stop and instead led police on a 2.5-mile pursuit.
The pursuit ended about 2 p.m. when the suspects' vehicle spun out and struck a street sign at College Avenue and Lake Drive in Cudahy, where the suspects, a 36-year-old Milwaukee woman and an 18-year-old Milwaukee woman, were taken into custody.
The 36-year-old woman was arrested for fleeing/eluding police and retail theft. The 18-year-old woman was arrested for retail theft and on an Outagamie County Sheriff's Department warrant for prostitution and obstructing an officer.
Franklin police were assisted by the Oak Creek, Cudahy and South Milwaukee police departments, as well as the Wisconsin State Patrol. Charges against the two women are pending.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Recall committee calls Franklin alderwoman a 'wicked witch' in flier
- Franklin High School seeks preschool-ready children
- Academy of Performing Arts to move its Franklin location
- Franklin Health Dept. asks residents to check home for radon levels
- New scholarship available to Franklin students pursuing careers in the arts
- Franklin police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Kayla's Krew gets caught in middle of playground fight over site options in Franklin
- Pleasant View Elementary seeks graduate memories for 50th anniversary
- Franklin mayor vetoes Froemming Park location for Kayla's Krew, calls for special meeting
- Franklin targets Froemming Park for Kayla's Krew playground, county approval uncertain