Two women who attempted to evade police after shoplifting more than $1,600 worth of merchandise at the Franklin Walmart were arrested after their car struck a street sign on Sunday, Franklin police said.
According to a Franklin Police Department statement:
Officers responded to Walmart, 6701 S. 27th St., after an employee reported two women were trying to shoplift $1,650 worth of merchandise about 1:47 p.m. Sunday. An officer found the suspects' vehicle near Walmart and attempted to pull it over, but the driver failed to stop and instead led police on a 2.5-mile pursuit.
The pursuit ended about 2 p.m. when the suspects' vehicle spun out and struck a street sign at College Avenue and Lake Drive in Cudahy, where the suspects, a 36-year-old Milwaukee woman and an 18-year-old Milwaukee woman, were taken into custody.
The 36-year-old woman was arrested for fleeing/eluding police and retail theft. The 18-year-old woman was arrested for retail theft and on an Outagamie County Sheriff's Department warrant for prostitution and obstructing an officer.
Franklin police were assisted by the Oak Creek, Cudahy and South Milwaukee police departments, as well as the Wisconsin State Patrol. Charges against the two women are pending.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- More trees than anticipated will fall in road reconstruction plan in Franklin
- Franklin police report: Jan. 22, 2015 issue
- Ending Common Core raises concerns among West Allis and West Milwaukee educators
- Whitnall ready to go for $29.4 million facilities referendums
- Franklin High School students apply nice doggone artistic touch for canine care business
- News & Notes: Jan. 15, 2015 issue
- Franklin police report: Jan. 15, 2015 issue
- Whitnall School District closes because of cold
- Hickory Grove Apartments proposal stands still after alderwoman abstains
- Candidates file for spring election in Oak Creek, Franklin, Greendale and Hales Corners