Franklin - The Fire Department was called about 8 a.m. today to Franklin High School to investigate a report of a smell of natural gas.
The high school was evacuated while fire crews investigated the odor, said Meghan Dade, communications coordinator for the Franklin School District.
After the investigation, firefighters determined that the odor was not natural gas, and believe it came from a battery that was charging overnight in the school's auto shop. When the battery was removed and the area aired out, the smell was gone, Dade said.
The school day is continuing as normal.
"We take issues of safety seriously and we thank our students, staff and families for their cooperation," Dade said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Recall committee calls Franklin alderwoman a 'wicked witch' in flier
- Franklin High School seeks preschool-ready children
- Academy of Performing Arts to move its Franklin location
- Franklin Health Dept. asks residents to check home for radon levels
- New scholarship available to Franklin students pursuing careers in the arts
- Franklin police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Kayla's Krew gets caught in middle of playground fight over site options in Franklin
- Pleasant View Elementary seeks graduate memories for 50th anniversary
- Franklin mayor vetoes Froemming Park location for Kayla's Krew, calls for special meeting
- Franklin targets Froemming Park for Kayla's Krew playground, county approval uncertain