Franklin - The Fire Department is one of five finalists in the IKEA and The Family Handyman magazine's "Fire Station Kitchen Makeover" contest.
The city's fire department was chosen by contest judges from approximately 1,000 entries. The winning department will be selected by the most online votes. Voting concluded earlier this month.
If the Franklin Fire Department wins, it would bring some much needed upgrades and repairs - at no cost to taxpayers - to the kitchen area at Fire Station No. 1, its headquarters. The IKEA kitchen makeover is valued at $25,000.
The winning fire department was supposed to be selected April 12 based on the number of online votes. However, contest organizers told Franklin firefighters that they're pushing back the date and will not select a winner until May 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin police report: Sept. 3, 2015 issue
- Tornado took the wind out of spirited city retail debate
- Franklin 4th District voters consider recall of alderwoman
- News & Notes: Sept. 3, 2015
- Franklin recall candidates sound off on dysfunction, development, goals (23)
- Reiman Chapel in Franklin to host blessing, tour for public
- News & Notes: Aug. 27, 2015
- Things to Do: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Franklin police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Public Forum: Janet Evans deserves to finish her term (6)