Franklin - The Fire Department is one of five finalists in the IKEA and The Family Handyman magazine's "Fire Station Kitchen Makeover" contest.
The city's fire department was chosen by contest judges from approximately 1,000 entries. The winning department will be selected by the most online votes. Voting concluded earlier this month.
If the Franklin Fire Department wins, it would bring some much needed upgrades and repairs - at no cost to taxpayers - to the kitchen area at Fire Station No. 1, its headquarters. The IKEA kitchen makeover is valued at $25,000.
The winning fire department was supposed to be selected April 12 based on the number of online votes. However, contest organizers told Franklin firefighters that they're pushing back the date and will not select a winner until May 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Root River Theatre continues local talent search for winter production
- Police seek North Shore Bank robber
- Searching for Molly: Local bar in Franklin jokes about ghost
- Franklin Police Report: Oct. 30, 2014
- Franklin Police investigate armed robbery at North Shore Bank
- Glen Morrow hired as new Franklin City Engineer
- Franklin man uses bike to hike Alzheimer's awareness
- Franklin's EDC remains clouded in political dust-up
- Debate over Franklin trail name proves less than poetic
- Franklin Police Report: Oct. 23, 2014 issue