Franklin — School district taxpayers are likely looking at a flat tax bill for the 2014-15 school year.
Last week at the district's annual meeting — where taxpayers have the power to vote on a district tax levy — the school board unanimously approved a zero increase in the tax levy compared to the 2013-14 school year.
The total tax levy is estimated at $32.8 million with an estimated tax rate of $13.26 per $1,000 of assessed value.
A Franklin taxpayer with a home valued at $238,000 — roughly the median Franklin home value, according to the census — would pay about $3,155 in school district taxes, based on that estimated tax rate.
"When we look at the fiscal part of our district and how we run, I think our community can be very proud of what we do and how well we do it," said Superintendent Steve Patz. "Education costs money, but I think we've been able to take the dollars we've had available to us and, over time, build a strong financial base."
The school district predicts that state equalization aid will increase by approximately $410,000 due to a 3.5 percent drop in equalized value last year — allowing for the tax levy to remain the same.
The approved tax levy is based on tentative estimates. A final tax rate will become available in the fall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin mayor recommends municipal tax levy freeze in 2015 budget
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- 'The Hill Has Eyes' haunted attraction to return for third season at The Rock
- Adult Health & Wellness Day held today, free blood pressure screenings offered
- Area school districts Exceed Expectations on DPI report cards
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 25, 2014
- Video: Franklin students drop the textbook, pick up the Chromebook
- News & Notes: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Franklin digs deeper into quarry issues