Franklin - A Milwaukee County parks employee who responded to the scene of yet another report of a cougar sighting on the Oak Leaf Trail last week said he discovered evidence that may link a big cat to the area.
According to the Franklin police log:
A Franklin resident reported that his wife saw a cougar near the Oak Leaf Bike Trail about 9:30 a.m. Friday. The caller's wife stated she saw a cougar walking south, crossing Puetz Road between 51st Street and the trail.
Although no cougar was found, a county parks employee checked the area and said he found what appeared to be cougar tracks and possible cougar scat (droppings) along the grass trail close to the river - but no tracks or other evidence was found along the hardened bike trail.
After talking with the witness, the parks employee verified the animal described by the woman was a cougar and that the tracks were found in the area where she allegedly saw the big cat.
Police in Franklin, Hales Corners and Oak Creek have all received reports from residents who say they have seen a cougar or other large, wild cat in their municipality within the past month:
A cougar or mountain lion was reported in the 6700 block of West Rawson Avenue about 10:30 a.m. Nov. 18.
A bobcat or lynx was reported by the Oak Leaf Trail in the 6400 block of West Drexel Avenue at 4 a.m. Dec. 1.
A 200- to 300-pound cougar was sighted in the area of Howell Avenue and Elm Road about 7:25 p.m. Dec. 1.
A cougar was reported by a Hales Corners resident in the 11000 block of West Forest Home Avenue shortly after 10 p.m. Dec. 13.
A call to the Milwaukee County Parks Department employee who reportedly found the tracks and other evidence Friday was not returned as of Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual MACC Fund Car Show to be held on Sunday, Sept. 7
- Franklin board approve unchanged school tax levy
- Corrections: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Franklin considers City Hall makeover: Officials seek new concept designs for facility beyond roof and siding projects
- Franklin Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Video Tour: Franklin High School construction nears completion for first day of school
- News & Notes: August 28, 2014 issue
- St. Martins Fair returns for Labor Day weekend
- Franklin High's new auditorium, classrooms to be ready for first day of school
- Correction: Aug. 21, 2014 issue