While Basil Ryan said he believes longtime opponents are trying to discredit him, and despite a loss in the mayoral primary earlier this month, he plans to campaign to become the city's next mayor as a write-in candidate.
He told NOW he believes he lost the primary because the specter of his 2003 loss in a recall election still follows him, and people aren't aware the group that spearheaded the recall was disbanded, based on a settlement with the distrct attorney's office, in 2006 after the DA filed civil charges accusing the group of filing a false registration statement and failing to accurately record how much money it collected and spent.
He further said that a legal case involving a property line dispute filed shortly before the recall caused his reputation to be unfairly tarnished. The charge against him was determined to be false after the recall election.
Steve Taylor and Steve Olson will appear on the ballot as mayoral candidates April 1. Residents who wish to vote for Ryan would need to write his name on the ballot.
- Franklin police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ryan schedules mobile office tour dates
- Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek Memorial-ize the holiday
- Construction blooms in Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Alanna Koehler opens up about daughter's cancer diagnosis
- Video: Brittany Norris finds out she has cancer
- Grease fire damages oven at Franklin bakery
- Five places to go to let your dog off the leash this summer