Franklin — School district taxpayers are likely looking at a flat tax bill for the 2014-15 school year.
Last week at the district's annual meeting — where taxpayers have the power to vote on a district tax levy — the school board unanimously approved a zero increase in the tax levy compared to the 2013-14 school year.
The total tax levy is estimated at $32.8 million with an estimated tax rate of $13.26 per $1,000 of assessed value.
A Franklin taxpayer with a home valued at $238,000 — roughly the median Franklin home value, according to the census — would pay about $3,155 in school district taxes, based on that estimated tax rate.
"When we look at the fiscal part of our district and how we run, I think our community can be very proud of what we do and how well we do it," said Superintendent Steve Patz. "Education costs money, but I think we've been able to take the dollars we've had available to us and, over time, build a strong financial base."
The school district predicts that state equalization aid will increase by approximately $410,000 due to a 3.5 percent drop in equalized value last year — allowing for the tax levy to remain the same.
The approved tax levy is based on tentative estimates. A final tax rate will become available in the fall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: April 16, 2015 issue
- Video: The curtain rises on Franklin High School's new performing arts center (1)
- Whitnall ponders: What's next? Moving on in the face of failed referendum
- Franklin police report: April 16, 2015 issue
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Pet adoption drive, mob boss speaker and more
- Local sports complex receives 'Riders' Choice Award'
- Lewis and Evans elected to Franklin School District Board (1)
- Chadwick and Sikorski to stay on Greendale Village Board
- Oak Creek-Franklin auditorium referendum defeated
- Franklin police report: April 9, 2015 issue