Franklin — State-owned land near The Rock Sports Complex in Franklin will be put up for bid Aug. 13.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation, which owns about 8.1 acres between Crystal Ridge Road and West Loomis Road, announced that the surplus land would be up for sale late July.
According to Franklin's zoning map, the parcel is zoned for a neighborhood shopping district.
Mike Zimmerman, owner of The Rock and Zimmerman Ventures, had proposed building a downtown area along the property, between West Rawson Avenue and South 76th Street, as a package deal with a new baseball stadium.
On April 22, the common council unanimously denied Zimmerman's request for a tax-incremental finance district to develop the stadium and potential downtown area.
Despite the rejected TIF district, The Rock may still be interested in acquiring the land that neighbors its property.
"Representatives of the DOT said Mr. Zimmerman had expressed interest in the parcel," said Brian DeNeve, communications for the Wisconsin DOT southeast region. "But we do have a formal process for bidding."
Zimmerman could not be reached for comment.
Bids will open at 10 a.m. in the DOT southeast region office, 141 N.W. Barstow Street. For more information about the property, visit Dot.state.wi.us/business/real-estate/se-region.htm. To request a bid packet for specific location, conditions and general terms, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (262) 521-5355.
The starting bid has been set at $520,000.
- Franklin community shows support for local police officers
- Moth Night at Wehr Nature Center July 29&30
- Gas leak in Franklin causes traffic stop, evacuation
- Traffic blocked for gas leak near Old Loomis Rd and Rawson Ave
- News & Notes: July 21, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: July 21, 2016 issue
- FPS announces district and school administrators for new school year
- Franklin police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- Pokemon Go can go anywhere, but you shouldn't, police say
- Franklin Poms dancers donate toys to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin