Franklin School District approves girls softball field
Field to constructed in conjunction with Franklin High School Saber Stadium construction
Franklin — The School Board will begin the process of accepting bids for a new girls softball field at Franklin High School.
Board members approved the project on April 23.
The girls softball diamond has been in the district's master plan for several years, said Jim Milzer, director of business services.
With construction currently under way for Franklin High School's $2.4 million Saber Stadium, the board decided installing a girls softball field now could mean potential cost savings.
The girls softball diamond, which has a cost estimate of $475,000, would include the same amenities as the boys field, including dugouts, a press box, a scoreboard and fences.
"We're hoping (the cost) comes in less, based on the fact we're doing so much similar work at the site already," Milzer said. "But we won't know that until we get the bids back."
The field will be constructed over two fiscal years, 2013-14 and 2014-15, with funding coming from the district's reserve funds.
The field should be completed and seeded this fall, Milzer said, and could be ready for play in the spring of 2015.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: Feb. 26, 2015 issue
- Oscar's Frozen Custard to open new location in Franklin
- Greenfield's Naked Furniture to close April 30
- Franklin police report: Feb. 26, 2015, issue
- Polish Center of Wisconsin begins Friday night fish fry for Lenten season
- Voters in Oak Creek-Franklin and Greendale decide candidates for April 7 election
- I-94 plan that decreases freeway access disappoints West Allis officials
- Dental Associates named Business of the Year by South Suburban Chamber of Commerce
- Franklin police report: Feb. 19, 2015, issue