Franklin School District approves girls softball field
Field to constructed in conjunction with Franklin High School Saber Stadium construction
Franklin — The School Board will begin the process of accepting bids for a new girls softball field at Franklin High School.
Board members approved the project on April 23.
The girls softball diamond has been in the district's master plan for several years, said Jim Milzer, director of business services.
With construction currently under way for Franklin High School's $2.4 million Saber Stadium, the board decided installing a girls softball field now could mean potential cost savings.
The girls softball diamond, which has a cost estimate of $475,000, would include the same amenities as the boys field, including dugouts, a press box, a scoreboard and fences.
"We're hoping (the cost) comes in less, based on the fact we're doing so much similar work at the site already," Milzer said. "But we won't know that until we get the bids back."
The field will be constructed over two fiscal years, 2013-14 and 2014-15, with funding coming from the district's reserve funds.
The field should be completed and seeded this fall, Milzer said, and could be ready for play in the spring of 2015.
- Franklin High School wins awards for "Fiddler on the Roof"
- News & Notes: May 26, 2016 issue
- Classes resume at Franklin High School following evacuation
- Franklin police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: May 26, 2016 issue
- Ryan schedules mobile office tour dates
- Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek Memorial-ize the holiday
- Construction blooms in Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek
- Sink or Swim: One Franklin family's fight with rare bone cancer
- Video: Alanna Koehler opens up about daughter's cancer diagnosis