Franklin — A special Common Council meeting will be held Thursday to review a proposed professional baseball stadium at The Rock Sports Complex.
Michael Zimmerman, owner of The Rock and Zimmerman Ventures, filed a concept review application with the Department of City Development on Tuesday for the proposed baseball stadium.
"I started playing around with the idea for a stadium about a year ago," Zimmerman said. "Now, I think it's time to put the pedal to the metal on it."
The 20- to 30-acre stadium, designed to hold 2,500 to 3,000 seats, would cost between $7 million and $11 million to develop. Zimmerman anticipates that the stadium could be complete in the spring of 2015, in time for the baseball season.
"I think many communities would literally kill to have that proposal given to them," Franklin Mayor Tom Taylor said. "My first response (to the proposal) was, 'Is this Christmas?' I'm very, very excited."
As part of the project, Zimmerman Ventures would consider bringing in an independent league professional baseball franchise to the sports complex, 7900 W. Crystal Ridge Drive.
As an investor in the $10.5 million sports complex, Zimmerman Ventures may ask the city for financial assistance for the stadium at the special meeting, according to a letter sent to the city.
The proposed stadium project may also consist of picnic areas, a beer garden, concession stands and a playground area, according to documents submitted to the city. Special events, such as concerts and fireworks, might be considered for the facility.
"Of course, this is all conceptual still," Taylor said. "There are still thousands of questions that need answers."
Initial reports from Zimmerman Ventures suggest the stadium's development may directly impact 15 nearby homeowners, who would be invited to attend an open house held by The Rock at a future date.
"I anticipate overwhelming support for this thing," Zimmerman said. "The Rock has already been a great asset to the community, but adding a professional baseball team to it would have significant economic value."
concept review for a proposed professional baseball stadium at The Rock
Thursday at 4 p.m.
Franklin City Hall, located at 9229 W. Loomis Road.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Franklin, Greendale students speak with officials about youth tobacco prevention
- Recall committee calls Franklin alderwoman a 'wicked witch' in flier
- Franklin High School seeks preschool-ready children
- Academy of Performing Arts to move its Franklin location
- Franklin Health Dept. asks residents to check home for radon levels
- New scholarship available to Franklin students pursuing careers in the arts
- Franklin police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Kayla's Krew gets caught in middle of playground fight over site options in Franklin
- Pleasant View Elementary seeks graduate memories for 50th anniversary
- Franklin mayor vetoes Froemming Park location for Kayla's Krew, calls for special meeting