Franklin — A special Common Council meeting will be held Thursday to review a proposed professional baseball stadium at The Rock Sports Complex.
Michael Zimmerman, owner of The Rock and Zimmerman Ventures, filed a concept review application with the Department of City Development on Tuesday for the proposed baseball stadium.
"I started playing around with the idea for a stadium about a year ago," Zimmerman said. "Now, I think it's time to put the pedal to the metal on it."
The 20- to 30-acre stadium, designed to hold 2,500 to 3,000 seats, would cost between $7 million and $11 million to develop. Zimmerman anticipates that the stadium could be complete in the spring of 2015, in time for the baseball season.
"I think many communities would literally kill to have that proposal given to them," Franklin Mayor Tom Taylor said. "My first response (to the proposal) was, 'Is this Christmas?' I'm very, very excited."
As part of the project, Zimmerman Ventures would consider bringing in an independent league professional baseball franchise to the sports complex, 7900 W. Crystal Ridge Drive.
As an investor in the $10.5 million sports complex, Zimmerman Ventures may ask the city for financial assistance for the stadium at the special meeting, according to a letter sent to the city.
The proposed stadium project may also consist of picnic areas, a beer garden, concession stands and a playground area, according to documents submitted to the city. Special events, such as concerts and fireworks, might be considered for the facility.
"Of course, this is all conceptual still," Taylor said. "There are still thousands of questions that need answers."
Initial reports from Zimmerman Ventures suggest the stadium's development may directly impact 15 nearby homeowners, who would be invited to attend an open house held by The Rock at a future date.
"I anticipate overwhelming support for this thing," Zimmerman said. "The Rock has already been a great asset to the community, but adding a professional baseball team to it would have significant economic value."
concept review for a proposed professional baseball stadium at The Rock
Thursday at 4 p.m.
Franklin City Hall, located at 9229 W. Loomis Road.
- Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek fire up for the Fourth
- Franklin Police arrest two suspects for poaching in Whitnall Park
- News & Notes: June 23, 2016 issue
- Things to Do: June 23, 2016 issue
- Paul Ryan schedules stops in Franklin, Greendale, Hales Corners, Oak Creek
- Franklin police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- Wehr Nature Center invites community to count butterflies for NABA
- Wehr Nature Center to host "Summer Solstice Social"
- Missing endangered person rescued from sewer access box
- Exotic animals coming to Franklin Library for Zoozort program