Franklin - An elderly Franklin man who was assaulted and robbed in his driveway on Christmas Eve, 2010, will have his day in court after a two-year investigation by the Franklin Police Department culminated an arrest this month.
Police arrested a 27-year-old former Greendale resident, Jake Breitzman, Feb. 8. He was charged with robbery by use of force in Milwaukee County Circuit Court on Feb. 13 and is in custody awaiting trial.
According to the Franklin police report:
The robbery occurred at 9:10 p.m. Dec. 24, 2010, when Breitzman allegedly approached an elderly man in his driveway in the 7500 block of South 77th Street and struck him on the head with a closed fist, knocking him to the ground. He then stole a purse containing $700 the man had just won at Potawatomi Bingo and Casino in Milwaukee.
A neighborhood canvass by police revealed there was an older, light-colored pickup truck leaving the area driving backward down the street without its headlights on about the time of the incident. However, police were unable to find the vehicle or the suspect.
In September of 2012, Franklin police received an email from a woman who stated her ex-boyfriend confessed to her in 2011 that he had committed the robbery. The woman said Breitzman admitted to her that he followed an elderly couple home from Potawatomi, knocked an older man to the ground and took a purse from him that contained $700. Breitzman then told his ex-girlfriend that he left the scene in his blue 1994 Ford F150 pickup truck.
During the investigation police discovered Breitzman also told two other people about the robbery, and their accounts matched the ex-girlfriend's story.
When they tried to locate Breitzman in fall of 2012, police discovered he was staying at a drug treatment center in Arizona. The Franklin Police Department monitored his release and arrested him when he returned home.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Recall committee calls Franklin alderwoman a 'wicked witch' in flier
- Franklin High School seeks preschool-ready children
- Academy of Performing Arts to move its Franklin location
- Franklin Health Dept. asks residents to check home for radon levels
- New scholarship available to Franklin students pursuing careers in the arts
- Franklin police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Kayla's Krew gets caught in middle of playground fight over site options in Franklin
- Pleasant View Elementary seeks graduate memories for 50th anniversary
- Franklin mayor vetoes Froemming Park location for Kayla's Krew, calls for special meeting
- Franklin targets Froemming Park for Kayla's Krew playground, county approval uncertain