Kevin Fischer is a veteran broadcaster, the recipient of over 150 major journalism awards from the Milwaukee Press Club, the Wisconsin Associated Press, the Northwest Broadcast News Association, the Wisconsin Bar Association, and others. He has been seen and heard on Milwaukee TV and radio stations for over three decades. A longtime aide to state Senate Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature, Kevin can be seen offering his views on the news on the public affairs program, "InterCHANGE," on Milwaukee Public Television Channel 10, and heard filling in on Newstalk 1130 WISN. He lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their lovely young daughter, Kyla Audrey, in Franklin.
1) Two women cry after laying flowers where a house once stood in the tsunami devastated Yuriage district, Natori city,
2) Wall of water: This combination photograph shows one of the most noted images from the March 11, 2011, Japanese tsunami -- a defense wall in Miyako being overwhelmed by the wall of water thrown up by a magnitude 9.0 offshore earthquake, one of the largest on record. The second photo was taken on Feb. 17, 2012. Miyako City, Toru Hanai / Reuter
3) A man holds a gun as Tulsa County sheriff's deputies and other law enforcement officers surround him on the plaza in front of the Tulsa County courthouse in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on March 7, 2012.
4) Illinois gun owners and supporters participate in an Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day rally at the Illinois State Capitol Wednesday, March 7, 2012 in
5) Paul Tennesen, of Madison, carries a recall Walker license plate at a rally Saturday at the state Capitol. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel photo: Gary Porter
6) Graves of British soldiers who fought and died during the North African desert battles of WWII were recently desecrated by a mob of angry Libyans. Local reports claimed that Islamists, angered by the recent burning of a Quran at a NATO military base in
7) Polling station officials clash with topless members of Ukrainian feminist group FEMEN at a polling station in
8) An Iranian war veteran who was exposed to chemical weapons during the Iran-Iraq War waits in line to vote while carrying a tank of oxygen to breathe. The 9th 'majlis' or election of parliament was held March 2, 2012, in
9) Hokom Al, a disabled woman, uses her foot to pour coffee which she prepared for neighbours at her home in a rural area near Khartoum, Sudan, on March 7, 2012. The 45 year old was born without hands. Here, she uses her mouth to hang clothes to dry in a rural area in
10) The skeletal remains of Patty Robinson are seen at the Forensic Anthropology Research Facility in
11) A towering dust devil casts a serpentine shadow over the Martian surface in this image, acquired on Feb. 16 by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. Photo: NASA / JPL-Caltech /
12) An aurora borealis swirls in the sky over the Yukon River village of Ruby, Alaska, a checkpoint of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race on March 9. Photo: Marc Lester / The Anchorage Daily News via AP
13) People push a bottlenose whale in an attempt to save it at Colcura beach near Concepcion city, some 311 miles south of Santiago March 7, 2012. The bottlenose whale which was dragged to the sea with a fishing boat, according to local media. Photo: Jose Luis Saavedra / Reuters
14) A boy hugs a greyhound that will be placed in temporary foster care at his home in
15) Thousands of spiders build new webs after floodwaters forced them to move to higher ground, in Wagga Wagga, Australia on March 6, 2012. Photo: Lukas Coch / EPA
16) A man displays a two-headed turtle 'Testudo horsfieldi' at National Museum of natural history in Kiev, Ukraine, Monday, March 5, 2012. Besides the two heads, look again, the reptile has six legs. Photo: Efrem Lukatsky / AP
17) Children and parents are dwarfed by a whale shark as it passes by inside a tank March 6, 2012 at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia. The whale shark is the largest living fish species. Photo: Don Emmert / AFP - Getty Images
18) A great gray owl perches on a branch in a neighborhood park on Friday, March 9, 2012, in south Anchorage, Alaska. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game says the owl's distinctive facial disk and its feathers help direct sounds toward its ear openings, and that it can hear mice and other rodents under two feet of snow. Bird watchers have reported repeated sightings of the normally reclusive great gray owl in
19) A 3-week-old gray squirrel suffered bruising to her leg and was separated from her mother when she fell from a tree last week. The squirrel, named Violet, endured the ordeal when the branch that held her nest was cut down. Fortunately, the couple cutting down the tree spotted Violet and immediately phoned the Wildlife Aid Foundation for advice on what to do. The foundation, based in the English town of
20) Cash Hadley kisses a goat at the Miracle Rodeo at Garrett Coliseum in Montgomery, Ala., on Wednesday, March 7, 2012. The event caters to special needs children and adults and helps to kick off the Southeastern Livestock Exposition Rodeo this weekend. (AP Photo/Montgomery Advertiser, Amanda Sowards)
21) Britain's Prince Harry, right, and Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt run during a mock race in Kingston, Jamaica, Tuesday March 6, 2012. The Prince was in
22) Britain's Prince Harry wins against Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt, seen rear, by making a false start, Tuesday March 6 2012 at a mock race at the University of the West Indies, in
23) A Nightlight's Thomas Taylor (2nd right) runs to head a goal as Philadelphia Killawatts' team members chase him with stun guns during an Ultimate Tak Ball (UTB) game in Bangkok on March 2, 2012. Photo: Navesh Chitrakar / Reuters. Watch video.
24) Sisters Bailey Lessard (left),12, and Blake Lessard, 10, of Waterford said they loved dressing up and being able to cheer during the Shamrock Club of Wisconsin's 46th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel photo: Michael Sears
25) Judge Roberto Castenega of Argentina, samples the aroma of one of the entries in the Semi-soft Goat's Milk Cheese category during the opening day of the World Championship Cheese Contest at the Monona Terrace Convention Center in Madison, Wis. on Monday, March 5, 2012. More than 2,500 entries were udged throughout the three day gathering, sponsored every two years by the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association. (AP Photo/Wisconsin State Journal, John Hart)
26) Bill Schlingsog, left, of Middleton, Wis., passes off the championship trophy to Peter Piersma, a judge and representing the
27) Patrons sample cheeses during the final judging at the 2012 World Champion Cheese Contest Wednesday, March 7, 2012, in
28) A 30-foot replica of Michelangelo's David is parked in front of the Storefront for Art and Architecture on March 6 in the Soho area of
29) Ananda Marchildon opens a bottle during a meeting with the press at her lawyers office in Amsterdam, Netherlands, Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Marchildon, a former winner of the television show "
30) Married actors William H. Macy, left, and Felicity Huffman share a kiss after a rare double star ceremony on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in
31) A pregnant Jessica Simpson is pictured on the cover of the April 2012 issue of Elle magazine. Photo: Carter Smith / Hearst Magazines via Reuters. The pose should look familiar.
32) An exotic dancer gets the attention of her audience as she performs during the 2012 Sex and Entertainment Expo in
33) YIKES! Maria Jose Cristerna, a mother of four, tattoo artist and former lawyer, poses for a photograph in
34) Freeze frame!
The Smithsonian magazine's 9th annual photo contest finalists have been chosen. The contest attracted over 14 thousand photographers from all 50 states and over 100 countries. Fifty finalists from 67,059 images were selected by Smithsonian editors. Those editors will also choose the Grand Prize Winner and the winners in each of the five categories which include The Natural World,
Take a look.